Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup, everyone!
i just bought a used VTX 1300c .. i took it for a ride about 7-10 miles and by the end of my ride it happened that i ran out of gas but i managed to to fuel it up as i was close to a gas station. when i got to my destination, i parked it for about 3-4 hours. when i got back it didn't start. possibly someone throttled it many times when it was off which flooded the engine pretty good.
i managed to fire it up after disconnecting the plugs and hitting the switch button til it started. it ran good till i got home. the next day, i tried to fire it up and pulled the choke a little to heat up but it kept dying everytime i push the choke back in. so, i pulled the choke all the way and waited for good 10 minutes or so :). now the bike dies on idle and it's really weak and gets really short in gears even if i ride it without letting it run on idle. no power at all!!!

i already know that pulling the choke for this long time might have fouled the plugs, is that it?
please help me here, and forgive me if i did anything stupid to my bike as i'm a new rider.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Pull, clean plugs, charge battery up then forget that you have a choke "enricher" on your bike. During cold weather, crank the throttle several times and this will allow the accelerator pump to prime the carburetor. Crank the engine and nurse it until it idles on it's own. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Any mods to the bike, ie; pipes, jets.

The choke on these bikes can get you in trouble fast.

Make sure the little vacume hose is connected to the left side rear of the petcock. If that hose is not connected it will never start.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No modes yet. The engine starts so i think there is nothing wrong with the vacuum hose. thanks for the tip about the choke. I'll try cleaning the plugs or maybe change them and I'll let you know what happened.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Never take hand off the choke - it's just dumping fuel in.

Takes plugs out and propane torch them hot - put them back in.
It's not just the tip - it's the full length of porcelain deep up the plug that needs to get dry.

Before starting it - smell the dip stick to make sure you haven't dumped excess fuel into the oil.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good advice has already been said .... take some time and check all of those vacuum lines. another possible item after you have checked everything else would be the fuel petcock diaphragm.
if it is weak or failing it might not be letting enough fuel through all the time. I suspect your use of the choke is why your plugs are wet.

Since you just bought the bike I'd change the plugs, oil, and go over everything ... there is a FAQ sticky at the top of the 1300 forums that has tons of info on plugs, filters etc etc.
Put some seafoam in the new fuel in case you got some gunk somewhere when you ran out of fuel ...
I never choke mine... just asking to foul plugs ... also don't run that starter a long time if it won't start ... give it a rest so you don't overheat it.
Good luck
mike

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
If you are using the choke a lot especially in warm weather then your A/F is set to lean.
in warm weather if adjusted properly you should be able to start it without using the choke.
all summer long here in Michigan I never use the choke.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the great help guys. Greatly appreciated!
i try what you guys told and will get back to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sup guys,
I have changed the plugs and the oil and also cleaned the air filter. the bike is running great now but I'm concerned about a few things so this won't happen again.
1- can the engine get flooded just from throttling while the engine is off? If not, what may cause the engine to flood?
2-when I opened the air filter cover the plastic was a little melted!! What the hell with that?
3- the petcock on my bike has only on and off ... No reserve?
Thanx again

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
On an 06 petcock.
up reserve
forward off
down. Run.

1 question no. When the engine is off there is no vacume so the petcock is closed.
2 melted cover. Sounds like to much gas caused by the enricher putting to much gas in the cylender and somehow you had a pre ignition and it ignited.

Are you using the choke a lot for starting. That will foul the plugs fast. Use it sparingly.
if the a/f is set properly you should not be needing the choke/enricher at 40* and warmer.
what temperature is it there now.

above is my opinion and some here may disagree.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I used to use the choke but now I'm never touching it again unless I really have to. It's around 70-80 this time of year. Perfect weather to ride on a sunny morning.
I'll try again with the petcock but I think mine only has up (reserve) and forward (off).
your explaination makes sense to me about the melting.
it's unfortunate that ihad to learn all those thing the hard way :)
Thanx for your help, mate.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
The accelerator pump will still shoot fuel with bike off, when the throttle is twisted.

Melted air box cover could be a symptom of running too lean. This would also explain why you are needing to use the enricher/choke on cold starts, and to maintain the bikes drive ability, thus leading to the fouled plugs and performance issues.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
On a 2006 the petcock has three positions down is run.
If you are needing the choke in warm weather then there is a Posibility the a/f is set to lean.
Honda set the a/f at the factory at 1-5/8 turns (lean) open in order to pass EPA standards. Ao a stock bike we have been setting them at 2-1/2 turns open from lightly seated and at that setting you should not need the choke until temperatures get down to 40* and below. Bike should start better at that setting.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts