Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry a little long. 1800 / 04
I replaced fork seals about 2.5 years ago. Put 15 wt in them. Initially they both leaked a little. The right stopped some miles later and the left leaked a little intermittently. Long story short after a broken ankle and back up and riding again the left was still leaking and I wasn’t sure how much fluid was in it at this point. I made a seal cleaning tool and inserted into the seal area and ran it around a few times. I pulled out a small fiberous material. I went ahead and drained each shock into a measuring container. The left side was only down 1.5 oz , the right 3/4 oz. I put in 10 wt Lucas from Oreillys. Put a quick 20 on it and no leaks. The shocks stiffened up noticeably but not in a bad way when hitting the bumps. Not sure what to think of that yet. The bike sits on the springs and meters fork oil hitting the bumps. Couple of questions. Anyone know about how much residual oil is left in the fork after draining them? I put the exact specified amounts back in them. I may be imagining it but I don’t seem to have as much travel when bouncing the shocks up and down before they stiffen up? On your 1800 standing on the front brakes, how much travel do you have showing on the pistons before the shocks stiffen up? Mine seems to stiffen up around half of the travel. I am thinking I may need to suck an ounce out of them ? What do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry a little long. 1800 / 04
I replaced fork seals about 2.5 years ago. Put 15 wt in them. Initially they both leaked a little. The right stopped some miles later and the left leaked a little intermittently. Long story short after a broken ankle and back up and riding again the left was still leaking and I wasn’t sure how much fluid was in it at this point. I made a seal cleaning tool and inserted into the seal area and ran it around a few times. I pulled out a small fiberous material. I went ahead and drained each shock into a measuring container. The left side was only down 1.5 oz , the right 3/4 oz. I put in 10 wt Lucas from Oreillys. Put a quick 20 on it and no leaks. The shocks stiffened up noticeably but not in a bad way when hitting the bumps. Not sure what to think of that yet. The bike sits on the springs and meters fork oil hitting the bumps. Couple of questions. Anyone know about how much residual oil is left in the fork after draining them? I put the exact specified amounts back in them. I may be imagining it but I don’t seem to have as much travel when bouncing the shocks up and down before they stiffen up? On your 1800 standing on the front brakes, how much travel do you have showing on the pistons before the shocks stiffen up? Mine seems to stiffen up around half of the travel. I am thinking I may need to suck an ounce out of them ? What do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do to the retention of residual oil in the shocks from draining them I ended up removing about 1.5 oz of fluid in each in order to properly position the travel of the pistons. The shop manual only discusses adding the proper fluid quantity in the context of a rebuild with cleaned up dry parts. If you are just replacing the oil you will over fill the forks by around 1.5 oz. Over filling will directly decrease the amount of travel you have “standing on the brake and bouncing the shocks up and down” by around 2 inches.
hopefully all that made sense.
04/1800r

·
Super Moderator
10,028 Posts
Perhaps it is different in the 1800 manual but in the VTX1300 manual, it gives a fork oil volume but also gives a distance from the top of the fork tube for the fluid level. The latter is what is used when refilling the forks due to the always present residual oil. When you are changing the fork oil, flush each fork a couple of times with cheap automatic transmission fluid. This is cheap and pretty close to the viscosity and performance of fork oil so a little bit of residual ATF will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps it is different in the 1800 manual but in the VTX1300 manual, it gives a fork oil volume but also gives a distance from the top of the fork tube for the fluid level. The latter is what is used when refilling the forks due to the always present residual oil. When you are changing the fork oil, flush each fork a couple of times with cheap automatic transmission fluid. This is cheap and pretty close to the viscosity and performance of fork oil so a little bit of residual ATF will not hurt anything.
On the 1800 that measurement requires the springs and related parts removed which requires a lot more bs to get it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts