Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what does fork extensions really do ???? other than lift the front ?!? does it add to the rake a little ???

Am considering getting 2 inch ones, but I wanna make sure that it does what I hope it does....Which is push the front wheel a bit away from the engine.

Anyone has pics of bikes with some on ???

Found a post where they condemned the triple trees used to augment the rake, because it screws the front geometry and creates trailing or something like that.

What do you think ???

·
Currently in Chrome Rehab
3,526 Posts
2 inches will of course push the tire away from the bike, but it doesnt change the rake.
you are just raising the front of the bike a bit.

Guys use the extensions to keep the bike's frame level when the increased rake pushes the tire out from the bike... otherwise, if you add rake without lengthening the forks, your frame is nosing down.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the reason why it is used with raked triple trees. I'd like to know if its conceivable to use 2 inch extentions without raking the trees. Does it make the driving position uncomfortable, or is 2 inches just right to use without the raked trees.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I understand the reason why it is used with raked triple trees. I'd like to know if its conceivable to use 2 inch extentions without raking the trees. Does it make the driving position uncomfortable, or is 2 inches just right to use without the raked trees.
Does not affect the riding position... only your nose will be higher.
Normally 2" extensions are used to compensate the trail numbers when a raked system is added. In your case... you are going to raise your front end and MAY cause a bit stiffer ride. Almost unnoticeable. This is good for highway riding. So most will depend on the look you want

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine has the two inch extensions. I noticed no difference riding but the tire/ handlebar wants to fall one way or the other very easily when I am moving it in the garage. I do like the way it sits much better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has the two inch extensions. I noticed no difference riding but the tire/ handlebar wants to fall one way or the other very easily when I am moving it in the garage. I do like the way it sits much better.
So you mean that you have the 2 inch extensions alone ( no raked trees) and you like it better !!!

Good to know. Would you have a side shot of your bike with this set-up, and also one before the extensions if possible.just to compare and see if that little mod can push the tire out just enough for me.

Thanks,

Steph

·
Large Member
1,216 Posts
I'm with Steph, please post some pics. I have been throwing around getting the 2" extensions for some time now but am not sure how it would look without increasing the rake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a few pic's after the extensions were added. I use a 1.5 inch block of wood under the side stand now to hold the bike in a more vertical position when parking in the garage. It gives me a little more room next to the shelves. I don't use it any other time. There is a slight coloring difference because the extensions are aluminum and not polished SS or whatever the fork tubes are made of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I forgot to add this. I think the height increase at the front of the frame, under the radiator is about 1". You don't have to change the front brake line with the 2". I can't tell if the turning radius was affected but I can do a u-turn in the garage to park my V-strom but not the VTX. It takes a lot to turn it around. But I drive a crew cab dually so turning radius is not to important for me. LOL

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
dont think you well notice any thing with 2 inch ext, i went with 4 inch, it lifted the front of the frame up about an inch and a half, yes it does change the angle of thre fork and it does make a diff in the way you sit on the bike cause its leaning backwards, IMHO it make the bike look better, handle better at speed and handle bad it slow stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about with the 2 inch extentions....Do you actually feel like you're leaning backwards ??? Are there any adverse effects like in slow traffic with the 2 inches, like WOOF says with the 4 inches ???

One last favor WILL. Would you mind measuring the distance betwween the lower part of the fender and the radiator in an horizontal line, just to give an idea of how much the 2 inch spacers have pushed the front tire forward.

WOOF, that bike looks good !!!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Mine are 4 inchers. I bet you wont notice any diff at all with 2 inchers, but maybe tweeking is better than radical.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
bikes in storage right now, got 2 feet of snow on both sides of the drive way or i wood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How about with the 2 inch extentions....Do you actually feel like you're leaning backwards ??? Are there any adverse effects like in slow traffic with the 2 inches, like WOOF says with the 4 inches ???

One last favor WILL. Would you mind measuring the distance betwween the lower part of the fender and the radiator in an horizontal line, just to give an idea of how much the 2 inch spacers have pushed the front tire forward.

WOOF, that bike looks good !!!

The distance from the bottom of the front fender to the radiator is 5 3/16 inches. Hope this helps. The only thing I notice is at really slow speed, walking speed, the wheel feels like it wants to fall one way or the other very easily. It wants to turn more than stay straight causing the bike to wander really bad in that situation. I don't remember this before but it is not a problem just something to be watching for. I like the way the bike sits much better. The handle bars are much more comfortable to me. Risers on the handle bars would probably do the same thing but not change the looks of the bike.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
willP has it exactly, if i lower my back shocks all the way down the bike is real comfortable and rides even better for solo riding, Extreme has ext cheeper than any one else i found so far.

·
Large Member
1,216 Posts
I am so dissapointed. I ordered my 2" risers Monday hoping they would arrive Friday to install and ride Saturday. I was so excited to see the box hanging outside of my mail box on Friday as expected, even left work early to get it going. I jacked up the bike, removed the first fork cap, removed the rubber seal and noticed it was odd that it fit the riser so loosely. Then I noticed that one riser was smaller than the other. I did not really notice it when unwrapping them. I am like a big kid when it comes to new toys, so I was really heartbroken I couldn't complete the project. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am so dissapointed. I ordered my 2" risers Monday hoping they would arrive Friday to install and ride Saturday. I was so excited to see the box hanging outside of my mail box on Friday as expected, even left work early to get it going. I jacked up the bike, removed the first fork cap, removed the rubber seal and noticed it was odd that it fit the riser so loosely. Then I noticed that one riser was smaller than the other. I did not really notice it when unwrapping them. I am like a big kid when it comes to new toys, so I was really heartbroken I couldn't complete the project. :(
Can't wait for you to get the right part and give youtr impressions on the ride and riding position difference, since it will be fresh in your mind. So please don't hesitate and post your findings too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts