Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy fork oil, Progressive springs and the All Ball bearings for my 1300C and have a question about the oil weight and amount. I weigh 250 and generally ride solo, what weight oil do people recommend? The manual list how much oil, I think it was 15.8 oz plus or minus some small amount AND to measure the height of the oil with the fork compressed and in a vertical position. Is the height of the oil more important than the amount? Is that 15 oz for each fork or total?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Get a couple of quarts of ATF to flush the forks. Then use 10W fork oil. The combination of the Progressive springs and 10W oil will feel stiff to you for the first 1000 miles - but it works like a charm when the springs set in and you get used to it. Trust me. I used 16 oz in each fork.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I am only 160 pounds so with my progressive I went to 7 1/2 weight it is a tad light so you don't want any lighter for your weight.

Get 1 quart of 10 weight fork oil and like was said a quart of trans fluid for flushing them I also shot some break clean in mine and pumped them then the ATF again.

·
The Wanderer
6,663 Posts
I weigh about 235 and always carry gear on my bike so I went with 15 weight and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Charlie D, how do you like the front end with 7.5w oil. I was thinking about doing the same. Does it make the front end more responsive?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Charlie D, how do you like the front end with 7.5w oil. I was thinking about doing the same. Does it make the front end more responsive?
It to 80% of the hard jarring out, may go back to the 10 and make a shorter preload spacer for the next change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bearings, springs and fork oil changed

I did it today, changed to All Balls bearings, Progressive springs and replaced the fork oil.

Having the Cafe to use as a reference is invaluable! I took it slow and easy and finished the job in a little over 6 hours, including going to Advance Auto to "rent" their slide hammer. In the Goheen video (I hope I was close to spelling his name right) he used a slide hammer to get the lower outer race out. I tried all sorts of things in my shop with no luck, got the slide hammer from the auto store and had the race out in a few seconds. Not having the slide hammer cost me close to an hour fighting the race and finally driving 10 minutes to the parts store.

The ride is better, tracks straighter with less pull on the throttle side of the handlebar. One thing I was surprised by was my mirrors have less vibration in them!

Next... replace the front tire that is only worn on the left and might as well go to the Darkside on the back. Need to work in a ride while I'm at it. Some friends and I are planning to do the Moonshine 28.

Thanks to everybody on the Cafe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I changed my fork springs after the bike had 64000 miles on them. I have no clue if the old springs had been replaced, but the "fork oil" that came out had changed to black sludge like material that varied its thickness as it came out. I put in OEM springs, but I made new spacers out of some PVC pipe. I increased the spacer length to 5 inches, which along with all the bushings and wheel bearings being replaced made the bike do something called "steer" and have something called "stability". Might cut the spacers to 4 1/2 inches soon though, as some of the roads down here in GA have some pretty hard seams where the pavement starts and stops...

·
Jesus Saves
33 Posts
I just did the springs, I filled the tubes to about 5.5 inches without spring and with forks extended using amsoil 10w shocktherapy. I had seen somewhere that there was no good way to drain forks so I used a pela vacum pump to suck it out, It only took 12 oz to fill each side. I hope that was right it feels better but I didnt ride it much before as im waiting for title work. Im 6'3" and 400. 58" suit and 44 pants.

I believe that my stem bearings will last forever provided I dont get degreaser in them:stirpot:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 VTX 1800c. I changed my rear shocks over to the 412's 12.5 (i'm pleased over all). I recently had the front fork springs changed over to progressive as well. The problem i'm noticing is that when I brake the front end dives and bounce a whole lot more now then when I had the stock setup. The shop that I had changed them said everything went well and they replaced the lost oil. My question is could this be because not enough oil was replaced or something else?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Either you do not have enough oil in the forks or they put it back together wrong. See page 13.26 of the 1800 service manual (sticky posts in the 1800 forum) for directions on measuring the fork oil level on the right fork assembly. Note that this is done BEFORE the spring is put in and BEFORE the spring collar is installed. Directions for the left fork assembly are on pg 13.29. Yes - the left and right fork are different.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It could be several things. The oil was not filled to the proper level, or the pre-load spacers where no cut to the right length or both. Also check your seals for leaks, probably not the problem. Did you go with the 412, because your tail bone was being punished?

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
The measurement for the "C" is 125 mm or 4.9 inches. The 10 W oil with 4.9 inches works great for me being 285 pounds to 307 pounds. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is a 412? Sorry, but I am real new and my back is killing me. I need to find a rear shock solution quickly. I have 7 miles of bone rattling riding before I get to a decent road. Any advice on what kind of shocks use would be appreciated. I am 6' and 195 lbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
412 is "Progressive Shocks" model # for there rear shocks. It takes about 30 min of riding before my tail bone feels the pain. I am looking to mod my seat first, before the out lay of $$$ for shocks. Bike has only 3k miles on it. Shocks work, the seat doesn't.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What is a 412? Sorry, but I am real new and my back is killing me. I need to find a rear shock solution quickly. I have 7 miles of bone rattling riding before I get to a decent road. Any advice on what kind of shocks use would be appreciated. I am 6' and 195 lbs.

Thanks
i use 1800 shocks on my 1300 and have it set on the lowest setting for preload. i weigh about 210 and ride 2 up only once in a while. no jarring, give it a try, its easy to set higher if you dont like it. My brother weighs about 235, also has his preload set on the lowest setting, no problems..just a softer feel when you hit bumps. :mosh: bry

ps, by the way, the honda shocks are about twice as expensive as the progressive 412 shocks which can fail and also may have problems with bushings.. imho the Honda shocks work better and will last for many thousands of miles without failure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts