Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ancient Conflicted Genius
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1300C project bike that the PO left sitting outside under a tarp. Changed the steering bearings last night and started on the fork rebuild, but I cannot get the tubes out of the lowers.

The forks are off the bike, I've drained the oil, and removed the oil plug, spring, and all the internal guts you can pour out of the top. And I have removed the dust cap, retaining clip, and washer, but I can't get the seal, bushing or tube out of the bottom (lower) part of the fork.

Am I missing something? When the fork tube comes out, will it push the seal and the guide bushing out? Or do the seal and the guide bushing stay in the lower when the tube comes out?

Thanks guys! It has been a while since I was last on here, looks like everybody is getting spring fever. Let's get these bikes on the road with the sun in our eyes and the wind in our hair. Well.... I mean, wear a helmet and glasses. But still, the idea holds true... :choppersm

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
use the lower leg.. like a slide hammer... to hammer the seal and bushing out... start a little hard, then a little harder, till assembly comes apart.. make sure the "C" clip is out. under the dust cover.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
use the lower leg.. like a slide hammer... to hammer the seal and bushing out... start a little hard, then a little harder, till assembly comes apart.. make sure the "C" clip is out. under the dust cover.
+1 on what he said.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clip is out. It was a bit rusty as was the washer under the clip. That rusty is probably the issue.
Because for about 30 minutes last night I did exactly as you suggested. I just wanted to verify that I'm not missing something and it'll just take serious elbow grease.
I'm getting ready to tackle it again... I did let PB Blaster soak overnight. Maybe it'll go now.

·
Registered
8,400 Posts
tubes are OFF bike. correct... hope you have a nice bench vice... or remount tubes... make sure bike will NOT move..

my work bench is bolted to the floor and wall.. and with a 8 inch vice... but I have done lots of bike front ends..

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got them. I put the forks of a forklift at chest height and slid them together. Then put the bike fork lower above the forks and slammed down by yanking the tube down between the forklift forks until the lowers hit them. I did put a collar around the forks to try to protect the lowers.
That's confusing... Too many forks involved. :)
One oddity was that both fork tubes and lowers separated and left the seal and the guide bushing in the lower. So after all the production of the separation, I still had to extract the seal and guide bushing. But the job is done and I'm awaiting parts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Finally got them. I put the forks of a forklift at chest height and slid them together. Then put the bike fork lower above the forks and slammed down by yanking the tube down between the forklift forks until the lowers hit them. I did put a collar around the forks to try to protect the lowers.
One oddity was that both fork tubes and lowers separated and left the seal and the guide bushing in the lower. So after all the production of the separation, I still had to extract the seal and guide bushing. But the job is done and I'm awaiting parts.

Thanks!
While you have it all apart you may want to think about swapping out the stock springs for progressives. It's only a $60-$70 investment and well worth the money. You've already done all the hard part to replacing them, now it's a piece of cake.

·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Superb advice. And I already have a set, just need to get the dust covers, seals, and guides. I put a set of Progressive springs on my previous VTX and since then I'm of the opinion that it's a "must have".

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Superb advice. And I already have a set, just need to get the dust covers, seals, and guides. I put a set of Progressive springs on my previous VTX and since then I'm of the opinion that it's a "must have".
Sounds good. I added mine this winter and they seem, so far, to make a world of difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,356 Posts

Thanks!
You certainly got the "That's confusing" part right.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts