Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my front caliper and during this time I am going to replace fork seals as they are leaking quite a bit and I'm not so sure that the fork oil hasn't soaked into brake pads causing my brake issue. Not worried of the reason, I'm a change it all and be done with it type guy. I am going to rebuild caliper versus buying one. Seems pretty straight forward. I have seen the write up @toasted_3111979 did on this forum about fork seals which was great by the way. I want to order guide bushings, fork seals, fork oil, and anything else I might need. I need help with a parts list ensuring I get it all in one shot. I would like input from some of you on the forum that has done this. I haven't done this stuff in over 20 years to a bike. I don't like doing repairs during the riding season if they can wait. Brakes are kinda one of those right now things. YouTube will get me there operational. But an accurate account of the proper parts before hand would be a life saver at this point. Thanks in advance for all your help and support.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Before changing the seals, consider cleaning the sealing surface under them using thin plastic film like old film negatives cut into a hook shape. There is a tool you can buy called something like "Sealmate" but you can also make a home-made one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That's smart Vinish. Cheap, easy and quick.

Worth a try.

Reactions: 123hotdog

·
Registered
15 Posts
Before changing the seals, consider cleaning the sealing surface under them using thin plastic film like old film negatives cut into a hook shape. There is a tool you can buy called something like "Sealmate" but you can also make a home-made one.
Wish it was that easy on the "R".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gonna try that this weekend before I start ordering parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh. Gonna have to order seals and might as well order bushings. Any thoughts as to where for the parts?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
get OEM Honda parts only.. not joking..

on-line or local dealership.. and Request only Honda Parts.. for the front end.
many here have had problems with aftermarket fork parts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody with fork oil recommendations? What brand? What weight? How much to buy?

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
bike uses 10w

I use 15w... a little slower rebound.

fork oil.. like motor oil.. a million answers. I get a name brand.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Get the bushings and seals from Ron Ayers Motorsports and use 10W fork oil from a dealer or order it from Amazon there really isn’t too many choices on types of fork oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts