Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Indeed it is. Well sh*t. Haha

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
There may be a plan down the line to move to a set of two-tone, similar to those in the fender shots :1:. We'll see how well lined the pockets are when the Avons finally wear down.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
So, I was one click away from ordering a nice little handlebar mount for my phone til I saw the subtotal with shipping :gah:. Maybe I'll wait til I at least pick up some bluetooth earbuds before I blow that kind of green on a mount.

In other news, I'm planning to install the Baron tach adapter I just ordered to get the OEM digital tach to work for me. Not that it's a necessary function but I do tend to be a bit overcautious about approaching redline and I'd like not to be.

Same day I do that, my buddy who helped me with many of the other big projects of Frank's is going to give me a hand cutting the end of the exhaust. It's a little too long-- I'd like the sidewall of the rear fender to not be obstructed at all. So we're going to cut the muffler's end and convert it from a turnout to a slash cut. This may actually look better as I believe turnout tips were designed to show off more chrome.

If I get the chance, maybe I'll finally install my MTC clutch kit too.

I'll report back as I go..

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
:1: have to admit Shawn, I really like the front fender that Frank wears now. Would love to have one just like it, but the place that sells em hasn't had one in stock for many many months (still says they're going to get then back in though). The one you're considering looks a lot like the R/S/T front fender.. Just my .02.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Beautiful bike
Thanks bud!

:1: have to admit Shawn, I really like the front fender that Frank wears now. Would love to have one just like it, but the place that sells em hasn't had one in stock for many many months (still says they're going to get then back in though). The one you're considering looks a lot like the R/S/T front fender.. Just my .02.
Tom, I definitely appreciate your input, and hadn't seen the likeness to the R/S/T fenders but see what you mean since you mention it. I'm still really into the thought of that on Frank though.. We'll see what happens! Of course, as we know, Frank is an ever-evolving monster... Beyond control of human influence even! Well, to an extent ;). I may order the fender just to see it in person, and send it back if it doesn't feel right. If I do go with it, would you be interested in the current fender?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
The problem with a 14 year old cycle..

..Finding a replacement when an obscure small aesthetic part goes missing. I lost the final drive breather cap and can't find the compatible replacement for the 2002 1800C. I ordered one from Partzilla but there's a sleeve inside the chrome cap that is supposed to slide over the breather itself. The sleeve in the cap I received is too narrow a diameter to fit; it's basically flush with the breather when it sits atop it. I looked around at the various websites that sell OEM Honda parts and there's only one other model number, but it's assigned to the 1800S.

These little caps are solid metal so as I attempted to 'widen' and then remove the inner sleeve, I mangled the top exterior of the cap. I suppose my only option is to order that other cap with the different part number. I'm just hoping to find certainty before ordering because even though the cap is only about $7, shipping was about $14.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Here's a shot of the breather and the cap sitting upside down beside it:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Only thing I can think of is to go ask a parts guy at the dealership. A tech may be a good option at the same dealer, that way of they order it and it is wrong, you are only out some time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Hey all,

Still haven't figured out that breather cap.. Kind of gave up on it. I do have some new photos to share from a buddy of mine who does photography and wanted to shoot Frank. Here we go--

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Nice pics of Sir Frank and he's looking better than ever. I got a box of parts in today from Partzilla and one was the breather cap for the final drive: 41306-MBO-020. Since these finals are interchangeable, this should be your cap. Gonna be at least another month before my X is back on the streets -- maybe a little longer. Going to look very different with no fairing and no bags.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Hey Tom-- That's the same pn that I ordered from, and has the inner sleeve that is somehow just a hair too narrow in diameter to fit. I think I'm just going to drill out the one I've got and use an epoxy to get to to stay on. Glad to hear you'll be out on your X again before summer's up-- Hopefully you'll have your fairing & bags again soon too!

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I'll let you know how mine fits, and hope I don't have any issues. Bags again for sure, probably the VTX specific bags which give it a wide butt. I put on an R fender I've had for a few years so those bags are made for it.
I need to take some pics showing the progress. Sometimes, life happens and diverts your attention to more important matters. That's where I'm at now although I truely miss rides along the BRP to clear my head.
tom

·
FREEBIRD
7,617 Posts
I'll let you know how mine fits, and hope I don't have any issues. Bags again for sure, probably the VTX specific bags which give it a wide butt. I put on an R fender I've had for a few years so those bags are made for it.
I need to take some pics showing the progress. Sometimes, life happens and diverts your attention to more important matters. That's where I'm at now although I truely miss rides along the BRP to clear my head.
tom
Priorities...the bike can sit. It's the rider that counts.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Hey Shawn --- Ready to install my vent now that all the "parts" are removed. In your pic, that small rusted "neck" sticking up with the vent hole in it has to be removed. I used vice grips and slowly got it to turn and then come on out. The chrome cover is actually spot welded to it and comes off too easily. So the new piece is lightly tapped down into the hole leaving a small relief at the bottom for the vent hole to get some air.
You have the right part (or you did :swear:)
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY :patriot:

221 - 240 of 272 Posts