Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
I'll let you know how mine fits, and hope I don't have any issues. Bags again for sure, probably the VTX specific bags which give it a wide butt. I put on an R fender I've had for a few years so those bags are made for it.
I need to take some pics showing the progress. Sometimes, life happens and diverts your attention to more important matters. That's where I'm at now although I truely miss rides along the BRP to clear my head.
tom

Reactions: anderson930

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Shawn --- Ready to install my vent now that all the "parts" are removed. In your pic, that small rusted "neck" sticking up with the vent hole in it has to be removed. I used vice grips and slowly got it to turn and then come on out. The chrome cover is actually spot welded to it and comes off too easily. So the new piece is lightly tapped down into the hole leaving a small relief at the bottom for the vent hole to get some air.
You have the right part (or you did :swear:)
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY :patriot:
Honda car power antennas used to be the same way. A customer would try to put a new one in and it wouldn't fit. It was because the sleeve that was around the old antenna was still in the tube. It didn't look like it came out. The trick I used to remove them was to use a pair of needle nose pliers and pinch it in at the top. Once it was pinched, I used a big drill bit that was just a bit smaller than the hole, and with my hand, I turned it. The bit grabbed the sleeve, at the pinched point, and they usually came right out.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Got mine installed but wish I had measured the length of the vent shaft going into the hole and I wish I had used a little anti-seize to make it tap in easier. I've tapped it as much as I care to and have a 5mm gap at the bottom. It's ok but I'd like to see it fit closer to the final drive. Might order another one later on and do a better job.
At this point, getting it out would make it FUBAR :gah:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Ohh, it makes so much sense now. And seems so obvious, I feel like I should have thought of that myself! Thanks, Tom! Now to order a new one that I didn't mangle up :doh:

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Ohh, it makes so much sense now. And seems so obvious, I feel like I should have thought of that myself! Thanks, Tom! Now to order a new one that I didn't mangle up :doh:
I'd save the piece that comes out and compare the length with the new one. I think I'll probably get Mr Hacksaw to even things out so the gap at the bottom is only around a 1/16th of an inch or so. Also, the new vent is not nearly as "robust" as the OE piece, but that's life.
Frank won't mind. :cheers:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Photobucket trying to scam me with this obscene $300/yr fee to continue using '3rd party sharing'. I'm fine uploading directly from now on over on the Indian forum but the fact that this thread is now ruined with broken photos actually breaks my heart. :icon_sadb

·
FREEBIRD
7,617 Posts
You're not alone, Shawn. This has broken all of our hearts. Classic pic-heavy threads like yours are irreplaceable.
R.I.P. Frank :icon_no:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #251 (Edited)
I don't know how to upload photos from my computer but I can upload photos from the Indian forum I'm on. This is what my 2016 Springfield is looking like now. Lots of extra but only a few non-OEM items, such as that functional hand shift kit! ;)

I still miss old Frank everyday! Hope everyone here is well and keeping it shiny side up!

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #252 (Edited)
And of course I do have some photos of old Frank in my photo album on the Indian forum, which means I'm able to share them here!

Attachments

·
FREEBIRD
7,617 Posts
Hey, Shawn, good to hear from you again.:cheers: The Indian is looking great. Love the shifter and that saddle.
Of course we all miss Frankenstein. It's a bloody shame what Photobucket(spits on ground) did to folks here.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Hey, Shawn, good to hear from you again.:cheers: The Indian is looking great. Love the shifter and that saddle.
Of course we all miss Frankenstein. It's a bloody shame what Photobucket(spits on ground) did to folks here.
Thanks man! Agreed!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #257

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Sean, I'm not putting your new bike down as I haven't seen one in person, but I just can't understand the trade. The VTX was so unique, sleek, and mean. I don't ever plan on selling my 1800, just adding to the stable. I know you know what this means, but I've put to much time, sweat, and money into my bike... I hope you enjoy the new one as much as you enjoyed the X.

~Troy

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Nice ride, but not for me, too much pretty to get dirty riding it. Beautiful work! :patriot:

Reactions: anderson930

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Hey Sean, I'm not putting your new bike down as I haven't seen one in person, but I just can't understand the trade. The VTX was so unique, sleek, and mean. I don't ever plan on selling my 1800, just adding to the stable. I know you know what this means, but I've put to much time, sweat, and money into my bike... I hope you enjoy the new one as much as you enjoyed the X.

~Troy
Hey Troy,
I completely hear you. It would have taken an awful lot to get me to let go of my VTX because I really loved that bike. It would take having a very unique and rare opportunity to obtain something that has been a dream of mine long before this bike came along. And that's exactly what happened. Before I even started riding, I've always loved the Indian motorcycles. I never imagined that I'd actually be able to own one. But the circumstances I was in with my life and career at the time presented a unique opportunity to not only own an Indian but to own it outright, without a loan and without paying more than $2500 to the dealer. It just required one sacrifice: my 1800. I'm sure you can imagine that this was not an easy choice but it was certainly a clear one. I still miss that bike everyday but given the chance to make the decision again, I would. In a perfect world, I'd be wealthy enough to have both but that's just dreaming- at least for now.

241 - 260 of 272 Posts