Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Who knows what the future holds. Maybe sometime down the road you'll have a chance to buy Frank back. :shrug:
Fingers crossed! I left my contact info with all the paperwork so the owner could reach out to me one day. I also always keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm riding through the area where it was sold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
THE FRANKENSTEIN EVOLUTION SAGA...CONTINUES

This beautiful bike was built with many mods by Shawn up in Boston. He was able to trade him in on another beautiful bike, an Indian Springfield. Shawn did buy Ole Frank on my behalf and he now resides in the Southwest, near Albuquerque. His arrival in New Mexico mid January 2020 and the beginning of his tear down for a facelift and botox...

This is the plan in progress:

Clean the frame and wiring
Rebuild forks with new seals, fluid and bushings
New steering bearings
Re-polish (possible powder coat) the triple tree
Install stock handle bar switches and reservoirs
Install Kagefighter Single Piece 10" rise Hanlebars - black
New black Spiegler Brake/Clutch lines with chrome ends and bolts
Powder coat the wheels gloss black with some dremel attention
Powder coat both brake calipers gloss black
Repaint the engine satin black with dremel attention
Remove the LED lighting and repair wiring
Install chrome hub
Re-powder coat all powder coated parts gloss black
New brake pads
New fluids
Install MTC clutch
Install Progressive 440's 11 1/2" shocks
Powder coat gloss black and install hondaline covers (swing arm, brake caliper, etc)
Repair the tank and repaint Black with marblization with hints of green...
I may have missed a thing or, but more to come

PHANTOM of FRANKENSTEIN...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
THE FRANKENSTEIN EVOLUTION SAGA...CONTINUES

This beautiful bike was built with many mods by Shawn up in Boston. He was able to trade him in on another beautiful bike, an Indian Springfield. Shawn did buy Ole Frank on my behalf and he now resides in the Southwest, near Albuquerque. His arrival in New Mexico mid January 2020 and the beginning of his tear down for a facelift and botox...

This is the plan in progress:

Clean the frame and wiring
Rebuild forks with new seals, fluid and bushings
New steering bearings
Re-polish (possible powder coat) the triple tree
Install stock handle bar switches and reservoirs
Install Kagefighter Single Piece 10" rise Hanlebars - black
New black Spiegler Brake/Clutch lines with chrome ends and bolts
Powder coat the wheels gloss black with some dremel attention
Powder coat both brake calipers gloss black
Repaint the engine satin black with dremel attention
Remove the LED lighting and repair wiring
Install chrome hub
Re-powder coat all powder coated parts gloss black
New brake pads
New fluids
Install MTC clutch
Install Progressive 440's 11 1/2" shocks
Powder coat gloss black and install hondaline covers (swing arm, brake caliper, etc)
Repair the tank and repaint Black with marblization with hints of green...
I may have missed a thing or, but more to come

PHANTOM of FRANKENSTEIN...
You still in touch with Shawn?? If so tell him to stop in and say HI

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Seb, I love it! It's so great to see this thread revived! Mike, so good to see you on here, old friend! I hope you've been staying well and loving life. I really can't say in words how happy it makes me to see Frank in such good hands. Seb is going to take on the project to create his own vision and I'm just so grateful that all that work is going to continue to be enjoyed and appreciated. I think the elephant in the room can be addressed by verifying that there was an unknown owner between Seb and myself who, in addition to adding tacky lighting with shoddy wiring, rode the beast barren and returned it to the shop on its last leg. Huge kudos to Seb for seeing the potential in resurrecting this beautiful but beat down monster of a bike. I will absolutely stay tuned to the continued evolution!

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Seb, I love it! It's so great to see this thread revived! Mike, so good to see you on here, old friend! I hope you've been staying well and loving life. I really can't say in words how happy it makes me to see Frank in such good hands. Seb is going to take on the project to create his own vision and I'm just so grateful that all that work is going to continue to be enjoyed and appreciated. I think the elephant in the room can be addressed by verifying that there was an unknown owner between Seb and myself who, in addition to adding tacky lighting with shoddy wiring, rode the beast barren and returned it to the shop on its last leg. Huge kudos to Seb for seeing the potential in resurrecting this beautiful but beat down monster of a bike. I will absolutely stay tuned to the continued evolution!
Awesome brother!!! So glad to see you here and hopefully still on two wheels. Still love to some day meet up. Don’t be a stranger and I’m sure the people here will love to see this bike redone in all it’s glory again!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Shawn. So I have removed the LED and amplifier wiring...a lot of junk. I also worked on the triple tree. Attached are before and after pictures...still a ways to go. MTC clutch and OEM switches arrived today...

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Awesome brother!!! So glad to see you here and hopefully still on two wheels. Still love to some day meet up. Don’t be a stranger and I’m sure the people here will love to see this bike redone in all it’s glory again!!!!
Thanks, Mike! Would love to catch up one day!
Seb, those trees are looking incredible. Nice work!

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Hey Shawn -- Good to see you and Frank reunited on the old thread. Going to be hard to see and not to feel it, but at least Jeb is taking good care with Frank.
Jeb -- seeing your polish job on the trees reminded me of getting blinded from mine when the sun angle is just right. I'd thought about getting mine powder coated gloss black too. Many chrome parts got scuffed up in my 03/2016 wreck, but got saved by sanding and gloss black powder coat, ie: front and rear boards. They actually look like they should have been black to begin with. I used a company that specializes in powder coating calipers: ArmorTech Powder Coating. in south Florida. Gloss black of course, and they came back in perfect condition and went back together easily with no leaks.
tom (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Shawn -- Good to see you and Frank reunited on the old thread. Going to be hard to see and not to feel it, but at least Jeb is taking good care with Frank.
Jeb -- seeing your polish job on the trees reminded me of getting blinded from mine when the sun angle is just right. I'd thought about getting mine powder coated gloss black too. Many chrome parts got scuffed up in my 03/2016 wreck, but got saved by sanding and gloss black powder coat, ie: front and rear boards. They actually look like they should have been black to begin with. I used a company that specializes in powder coating calipers: ArmorTech Powder Coating. in south Florida. Gloss black of course, and they came back in perfect condition and went back together easily with no leaks.
tom (y)
Hey Tom. Considering we get over 300 days of sunshine here in the Southwest that glare off of the polished trees would make for a less than desirable ride. I am still weighing out the idea of powder coating the trees...but I still want some chrome/polish to break up all the black that will be on Ole Frank. Something I need to ponder within the next few days before I get stuff out to the powder coaters. I have had two bikes powder coated by Absolute Powder Coating here in Albuquerque. They too have done two sets of brake calipers for me that came out pretty nice.

Thanks for following the thread. Shawn is the expert on Ole Frank and his information has eased and helped me understand the bike better during the tear down. He built an amazing bike and I am looking forward to getting him on the road. Due to the pandemic, I was unable to get him registered with DMV before I started the tear down. One of the things I plan on doing is applying for a vanity plate for him. These are some of the ideas: OLEFRK, FRKSTN, PHANTM...please share an possible ideas...

seb

261 - 272 of 272 Posts