Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 15.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a decent rainsuit. A check on the weather for the upcoming trip to NY/VT/NH/ME indicates that the bike and I will be getting rinsed from time to time.

Are Frogg Toggs good or Bad

Good - work as stated, breaths, keeps the wearer dry, comfortable
Bad - none of the above.

Ive already read a few comments about pipes and pants not getting along very well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've worn Frogg Toggs in some frog choking rain several times. They kept me dry.
If you are prone to touching your pipes try making a sleeve for your leg out of an ironing board cover,
slips on and protects your pant leg. It will fold up and stow with your rain gear.

·
Certifiable Member
527 Posts
I lovem they ride nicely and keep me dry. and they breath so i dont ride in a sauna.
just watch the pipe as stated above. this goes for any clothing

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
If you live in the south with heat AND high humidity, Frogg Toggs are pretty much the ONLY choice you have in an inexpensive rain suit that still breathes and works.
Feeling lazy again, so I just copied and pasted an email I sent to my boss this AM who was curious and Frogg Toggs were on sale on their website...

Sooner or later you WILL get caught in the rain...again. But high end (read GoldWing oriented) MC rain suits can run between $350 and $800! So a lot of riders turned to sports oriented rain gear to see what was available. Here in the South the cheaper PVC suits were out unless you just wanted to lose weight in sweat till you passed out off of your bike.

Frogg Toggs look and feel a little strange, but they DO work. It's sorta like wearing a chemical suit made of industrial paper towels...but that's just MY description (actually they are made of a 3-ply material they call Dura/Vent. An ultra-thin microporous film, similar to activent, and sandwiched between two layers of ultra-thin polypropylene). Main thing is that they do work and nothing else out there (of quality) comes even close to being as breathable AND water/wind proof and still be as "inexpensive."

The sports line (Pro Action) is the most popular line and is used by Golfers/Anglers/Archers/Hikers and was on sale for only $50 (MSRP is $65 - they used to be just under $100) with FREE shipping at their online site (see below, if the link is still valid)! That's REALLY good, especially when you remember you are getting BOTH the top and bottoms! Personally, I bought the Road Toads. My only complaint is that the neck hole is too large for my neck and water seeps down the zipper area sometimes, especially since I rarely wear a helmet.

If you like the Pro Action you might be able to find that model at an even lower cost on the web.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Golf.shtm

The other websites selling them are also for $50 (as of NOV, 2010) w/ and w/o shipping, so it looks like FroggTogg is matching or beating them (cheaper than Amazon) with its present sale price ($10 off).

These guys have the khaki and light blue ones for $40 (don't know about shipping): http://www.bluecollarworkwear.com/catalog/Frogg-Toggs/Frogg-Toggs-Pro-Action-Suit-PA102/

Here's a REVIEW by a Fishing gear site: http://www.tacklereviewer.com/review/frogg-toggs-pro-action-suit-review

Here's another REVIEW by a hiking/backpaking site: FROGG TOGGS & Ultralight Rain Gear

Here's a REVIEW from a Motorcycle blogger: http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2009/0...-toggs-review/

If you get Frogg Toggs of any type you'll need a heat-resistant gaiter for you right leg because they'll melt into a giant hole in a milisecond if you touch the pipe: Fieldsheer Burngaiter - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore ($13-15 for one). Of course, that won't help you if you lean on the pipe while dismounted...and THAT is real easy to do when you get off in the rain or right after and your mind is pre-occupied.

The "sell" for the Pro Action Suit...

OUR MOST POPULAR SUIT, the Pro Action Suit has been a staple of outdoor enthusiasts for years. Our Pro Action Suit has helped wearers endure hiking treks along the Appalachian Trail, downpours in the Cascade Mountains of Washington state and 500-mile motorcycle rides. Our suits store easily in a tackle box, golf bag or motorcycle storage compartment.

FEATURES

• The Pro Action Suit features a roomy jacket with a hood that zips into the collar. Use it when you need it, hide it when you don't. The full-length zipper is covered by a storm flap that snaps closed to keep wind and rain out. The pants have pass-through pockets, elastic waist with barrel-pull drawstring and 8-inch zippers with elastic cuffs.
Frankly, there isn't a single cycle shop or gear shop anywhere in the southern USA that doesn't sell them, especially for golfers. Don't know about you Yankees or Cowboys. Due to colder weather there are probably more options and thus, less chance of finding them readily in a store...especially in your size.

If you plan on hitting the Smokies, Blue Ridge Mtns or other sections of southern Appalachia be advised that the heat, humidity and rising air over this mountains allows them to create their own weather that has absolutely NOTHING to due with any official forecasts. Frogg Toggs are well advised if you plan on riding through that part of the country.

MY only caveat, as I mentioned in the email, is that I would prefer a better neck closure option that allows me to pull that sucker tight as a sausage.

As for the burning pipes, LOTS of folks buy or go to a thrift store to get an ironing board cover and then gorilla glue, fabric glue or sew (not an option for the craft-impaired) shaped sections on their inside legs...mostly from just below the knee to the ankle.

Other burn solutions are:
  1. STAY AWAY from doing anything on the right side of your bike :nono:
  2. I use these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/12/368/9607/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Burngaiter.aspx
  3. But here's a nice posted thread on the sewing option: http://favoriteroads.com/riding-camping-gear-discussions-reviews/105-protecting-rain-gear.html

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Affordable, comfortable, compact when folded, and easy to quickly jump into. Meltable, yeah, but put a strap around that leg, and it will help. Also comes in many colors
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Sarge
643 Posts
Frogg Toggs just plain work....as everyone has said, they are prone to melting behind your right thigh, but there are 2 options to beat that issue...1) they make a $5 heat patch you can glue on or 2) glue on a piece of an ironing board cover...

Either way, have been in too many downpours (ask my better half, she'll tell you exactly how many, too many, is) and stayed dry at interstate speeds with them on.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Damn. I HAVE to add my 2 cents on this one.

A couple of years ago, while on a ride out of state, I found a set of frogg toggs for sale in a MC shop. They were camo colored, but I figured what the heck, these are supposed to be awesome rain gear, and it was looking like rain that day. I think I paid $60 for them.
It started raining, I put my gear on, continued my ride, and got SOAKED!

Let me just say this. Getting wet while fully dressed pisses me off like nothing else in this world.

Some time later I sprayed them down with camp dry. Next time I wore them, I got SOAKED.

Called the company and they swapped them out for another set, newer ones with the taped seams, and even let me change color to black with reflective piping.

Customer service: so far, so good.

New set arrived, wore them in the rain, and got F-ING SOAKED!!

I called them back again. The only thing they were willing to do is swap them again. The only way to get my money back would be to take them back to the bike shop where I bought them, but I couldn't do that, because now I don't have the set I purchased there, and they didn't have any that weren't camo.

So, to hell with frogg toggs. They do breathe, and they are quite cool in the heat, WHEN THE RAIN COMES THROUGH THEM AND SOAKS YOUR ASS!

Best thing I have found is the nylon (not the vinyl/pvc stuff) from Walmart. It breathes pretty well. I don't get very hot wearing it, it packs smaller than frogg toggs, and riding year round a set lasts me a couple years without leaking. Once in a while I spray them down with thompsons water seal just to be sure.

My frogg toggs are in the shop to use as coveralls to keep my clothes clean when I'm working on something really dirty.

·
Super Moderator
10,740 Posts
These burngaiters are listed as "no longer available" on that website and have been listed as such since before this past Christmas since I was looking for them then. I searched all over the intrawebs and couldn't find them or any other similar thermal protection gaiter. Of course, my Google-Fu skills are not that great. If you or anyone else knows of a good source for these or a similar thermal protection gaiter, please post it. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
780 Posts
Frogg toggs

I like them and think they are worth the money. I have worn them in driving rain, way past where common sense would say pull over and was completely dry. The do allow air in and this will cause a definite chill. I never bought the feet so my boots are always soaked. WP boots are in order but one can carry only so much stuff.
One year at the hoot many people were wearing their FTs and walking around the event in the drizzle. The humidity was fierce and no one compained.
Recommend: Yes

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
These burngaiters are listed as "no longer available" on that website and have been listed as such since before this past Christmas since I was looking for them then. I searched all over the intrawebs and couldn't find them or any other similar thermal protection gaiter. Of course, my Google-Fu skills are not that great. If you or anyone else knows of a good source for these or a similar thermal protection gaiter, please post it. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish
These guys still sell them, but for $4 more... http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...2&product=685534&cattype=&ProductCategoryCode

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take a look at frogg togg toad skinz. They have built in rain gutter over ripper all seams are sealed and have fabric on outside so they won,t melt very easy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The Frogg Toggs work OK but aren't nearly as rugged as suits like Tourmaster. The Toggs do breathe pretty well. If you go the Togg route suggest you look at their model designed for motorcycles....Road Toads.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Use the Road Toad Frogg Toggs for two years in light rain to turd floaters and they've worked for me. And yes, here in the deep south, their the only way to go.

Rebel

·
Super Moderator
10,740 Posts
Again, it may just be my bad Google-Fu skills but the site you link to appears to NOT actually be a selling site. It seems that an order cannot actually be placed on that site. It only has a general link at the bottom to find accessory dealers who are members of the PSN. This link does not even take you to accessory dealers who have the Fieldsheer burn gaiter in stock. Instead, it takes you to a general list of all PSN dealers with those in the state you specify bolded. Any suggestions by you or others on where these gaiters can be ordered would be greatly appreciated.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I like them

If you are going to ride in the rain GET BOOT COVER!!!! Keep you feet dry

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Love my Toggs, have kept me dry in some HEAVY downpours. I also love the fact they breath which keeps me from getting hot.

+1 on Boot Covers, need to keep the feet dry, even in the summer, squishy socks suck!! My Boot covers are Tourmaster, not frogg toggs.

If you do go with the Toggs, do yourself a favor and add protection for your pipes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts