Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna change from oil and go to the synthetics I guess. Have pushed this back and forth for a while.

Need advice. Is this advisable after 30,000 miles on the "X" and 12,000 on the 750 Spirit and 11,000 on the 250 Rebel ? Is this a NO NO after running oil for that long ? Any disadvantages to doing this ? All I am seeking is the perfect definitive answer to the question.

If you do this do you need to run the synthetic for a short time - and change it again to clear the remaining oil out ?

Questions of ignorance I know but can find no real direction by searching around.

Help and guidance from ye 2 wheel experts out there is requested.

Thanks in advance for the help ....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
No problem switching to syn after running dino for a long period.

No you do not need to drain the syn after a short period...just run with it.

Disadvantage...costs more. Advantage...do not need to change as often.

Personally...3-4K with dino oil and 6-8 with synthetic

Bull

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
likes been said

1 pull plugs and filter.

2 install plugs and filter

3 pour in new oil.....

4:choppersm

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Go for it RJT :mosh: Ive done it, on both cars and motorcycles as i most often buy vehicles a couple of years old. I've never had a problem. Bry

·
Registered
446 Posts
i hope you mean pull oil plugs and not spark plugs[just kidding]
--irv

rotella t6 syn works well

·
Registered
353 Posts
We picked up a Rebel 250 for the wife last fall, and I did a lot of reading on the Rebel forums to see what they were doing for oil. I run synthetic in my VTX1300, and considered doing the same in the Rebel. The Rebel doesn't have an oil filter; apparently tolerances in that engine are not tight enough to warrant filtering particulates and gunk out of the oil. The consensus there seemed to be that changing it often was more important than oil quality. I plan on using a decent dino oil in the Rebel 250 and changing it about every 2000 miles, but will stick with synthetic in the X. If you do decide to switch to synthetic, as everyone stated above, there really aren't any special procedures to follow, just switch it out anytime.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Longer change intervals is not the only advantage. Synthetics are superior to regular oil in every way. They flow at very low temps, don't breakdown like reg. oil for a LONG time, they can withstand MUCH higher temps before starting to bake or cook. I use sythetics in my trucks and bike. Never had any engine related problems. Take the valve cover off after 200,000 miles- still looks new inside. Well worth the extra cost. I've seen people run regular oil- or even worse go to a quick lube joint for oil changes- get the cheapest quality or even recycled oil- and their engine is sludged up in 50,000 miles.

Synthetic vs. reg oil-- no comparison.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I had never thought about a procedure for it. I just drained my dino oil, changed filter, and added the synthetic oil. I ran the dino oil for about 10k miles and running the synthetic for about 15k. Just make the change and don't think twice.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had never thought about a procedure for it. I just drained my dino oil, changed filter, and added the synthetic oil. I ran the dino oil for about 10k miles and running the synthetic for about 15k. Just make the change and don't think twice.
I work in IT ... There is a PROCEDURE and sequence for everything ... request on procedure due to conditioning I guess ....:hmm2:

Thanks all ...

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I work in IT ... There is a PROCEDURE and sequence for everything ... request on procedure due to conditioning I guess ....:hmm2:

Thanks all ...
Yea there's procedures for procedures, seems like they think no one has common sense. Id understand the need for them though. With out a written procedure someone would hurt themselves and sue for the damages. It's that kind of world these days. Like putting hot coffee between your legs while driving, wrong procedure.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
:coffee:

Old mechanic's adage may still hold true:

"Buy the cheapest gas you can find and the most expensive oil."

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Make the swap and don't look back!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can also mix the the two if you like it is what they call synthetic blend oil.

so if you find yourself out in the middle of nowhere and are low any of the non energy conserving oils can be added.
Good point here. I just changed with T6 and plan on throwing a quart in the bags for long trips but if I get in a bind and need to top off any recommendations of which Dino to use? :patriot:

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Good point here. I just changed with T6 and plan on throwing a quart in the bags for long trips but if I get in a bind and need to top off any recommendations of which Dino to use? :patriot:
Any of the non energy conserving will work fine, I would stay away from the real cheep though

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
just did the oil change on mine, 12,000 miles on synthetic it was dark brown and slick, not quite black yet, kinda looked like really slick coffee. the texture also was still very slick.

As said before drain (remember both plugs) change the filter (I used the Walmart Super Tech ST7317, which is the larger of the two filters). put both plugs back in (this step very important or you will have oil leaks) fill up with 4 qts Mobil 1 synthetic (yes I use 4 qts not the 3.8 due to using the larger filter),

and the most important step after all the above is done.

Ride it like you stole it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts