Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front brake pads a few weeks ago. After I was done I started to throw the old pads in the trash when I noticed that the inside pad (and only the inside pad) had a metal backing on it. Between the metal back and the pad was an additional white spacer. The new set didn't have anything similar, and none of the rear brake pads have had it. Anyone know the purpose of the parts, and whether I should have put them on the new pad?

I've put about 5,000 miles on the new pads already, and I haven't noticed any rattle or squeal, so I'm not too worried, mostly curious.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I replaced my front brake pads a few weeks ago. After I was done I started to throw the old pads in the trash when I noticed that the inside pad (and only the inside pad) had a metal backing on it. Between the metal back and the pad was an additional white spacer. The new set didn't have anything similar, and none of the rear brake pads have had it. Anyone know the purpose of the parts, and whether I should have put them on the new pad?

I've put about 5,000 miles on the new pads already, and I haven't noticed any rattle or squeal, so I'm not too worried, mostly curious.
Those are anti-squeal spacers. Yes they should have been put on the new pads. I expect in a few weeks/months you will find out why.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it normal to only have one on one side? Those are the original pads, so this is the way it came from the factory.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Interesting - I checked the parts fitch and those parts were not shown. They are clearly anti-squeal shims. Maybe they were put in as a fix. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
just went reading where some had anti-squeal shims and some didn't.maybe the early 1300's had them?then later used a different pad compound that different need the shims.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ebc pads don't come with those brackets on pads and when i called them up I was told the were not needed and not to put them on because it may cause pads to heat up too much. Just ordered some new oem and they come with that anti-rattle shield. I don't know if the guy from ebc really knew what he was talking about but I used them without shield for 20000 miles between two sets of pads with no squeeling and just a little rattle over bumps from time to time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I have the Honda service manual and it doesn't show or mention the shims, either. I thought it strange there was only a shim on one side. I did buy the bike with 9000 miles on it, so someone could have fiddled with the brakes before I bought it, but it seems unlikely.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A while back, I owned a 2004 1100 Spirit. I replaced the front pads with Ebc pads. I had no problems. However, I had kept the oem pads with the shim "just in case". I felt uneasy not using the shim, so I put the oem shim in with the Ebc pads. I found no difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OEM pads come with only one shim per set of pads. One shim on front pads and one shim on back pads. At least all the OEM sets I have ordered did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts