Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Front fork alignment/adjustment

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  IndyX 
#1 ·
I took the front wheel off to replace the tire.

Upon reinstallation I ran into a problem

I'm having difficulty reinserting the axle back into the forks.

Putting the tire aside I try to push the axle through the forks for proper fitment. This is when I discovered clutch side fork leg hangs low.

I resolved the issue by loosening the fender bolts, and loosening the upper and lower triple tree pinch bolts on clutch side. I raised the fork 1/4". Now the axle smoothly goes into place. I retightened the tree pinch bolts and reinstalled the tire. But the height of the forks on top the triple tree is uneven.

Also, at this time I also changed the front brake pads.

I spin the tire by hand and no rubbing occurs. I'm thinking to myself this is good.

I haven't ridden the bike yet because I'm skeptical about the clutch side fork being raised up a 1/4"?

any thought?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it sounds WRONG to have the fork tops at different heights. You should adjust the heights to be the same and then go through the front axle alignment process shown in the service manual. I do not remember the details of this alignment process but it is not difficult. You can download a copy of the service manual here on the VTX Cafe.

#3 ·
Align the forks...

From ancient Cafe post you can find on Google, this is what I always did on mine.

Fork alignment is done at the wheel axle, It doesn't hurt to have them the same height at the upper tree. The best way to align them is when replacing front wheel, tighten pinch bolts on clutch side, then tighten axle nut, then tighten pinch bolts on brake side, then loosen clutch side pinch bolts, bounce the front forks a few times, then re-tighten clutch side pinch bolts & the forks are now aligned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.