Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the seals/bushings/springs of my front forks. The problem I have run across is on the right fork. I can't get the fork socket bolt out. It goes in the very bottom of fork tube, and secures the fork dampener inside the fork tube. It is a 6mm hex head bolt. I think someone my have used red locktight on the threads. I re-installed the fork spring, to put pressure on the dampener, and hopefully keep the dampener from turning. No luck. I think the damper rod is spinning inside the tube, and the bolt won't come out. Anybody have any tricks on how to get the bolt out?? I tried air tools, and hand tools. I hope I don't have to try and drill out the bolt. HELP...:banghead:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I checked there. There is no special tool that I know of for this. There is a special socket used on the left fork.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You're right. That bolt holds the tube inside the fork tube. It spins when loosened and is almost impossible to remove. It shouldn't need to be removed anyway. Use an impact to snug it up, then set it to torque and leave it alone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Displacement!

I tried to tighten bolt up, and it wouldn't tighten up all of the way. I ended up getting it out, and finishing the job. I am almost embarrassed to say what it took to get it out. Seeing how this bike is all about displacement, I should have known that I needed to step up from my nice 3/8 Cornwell air impact gun to my good old IM-5 Snap on 1/2 inch gun. Nothing beats displacement. Thanks for the info.:mosh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts