Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Semper Fidelis"
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
previous tire was installed March of last year and I just put a NEW Metzler on the front some 17,000 miles later. Running my pressures some 3-5 pounds higher than suggested. I noticed a NEW front end vibration a few weeks ago in corners only and then in the straight runs. Tire was cupped very badly and NEW one was installed. Speaks volumes for Metzler tires.
:mosh:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Been "kicking around" what tires to get when these stock dunnies wear out...

Looking more and more like it will be some Metzlers going on the bike...

Good to see you around here...as brief as it was...LOL

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Great milage you got there! I vahe an Avon and just hit 14000 miles on it and it and will change out next week. This time I went with the Metz 880 delivered yesterday from Jake Wilson, $116.00. Monday I should get the tiremahin and dyna beads that are in route fro Wilson. I hope I get the same milage as you did! Good to se you posting again.......

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
previous tire was installed March of last year and I just put a NEW Metzler on the front some 17,000 miles later. Running my pressures some 3-5 pounds higher than suggested. I noticed a NEW front end vibration a few weeks ago in corners only and then in the straight runs. Tire was cupped very badly and NEW one was installed. Speaks volumes for Metzler tires.
:mosh:
:coffee:I'm confused, what did you have on ?? the stock Dun ? and got 17000 or the Metz got 17000 ? and that's not to bad mileage seeing how you look like a gravity enhanced person. And as far as the cupping goes, sounds like low air, because high pressure would not cause the tire to cup or you might have bad bearings making the wheel vibrate. Out of balance wheel will do it too. Dyna-Beads might be a fix.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Metzlers rock. :mosh:
I am about to put on my second one. I got just over 24K out of the one on there now. I did pretty good with the stock Dunlop too though, got 16K out of it.
Tire pressure makes a world of difference. I have always run 40 psi in the front.

·
2,807 Posts
scott, good to hear you got your money out of the Metz...i am about to put another set on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I only got 7500 miles out of the stock Dunlops, the front was worn on the left side (it wouldn't pass a state inspection) and the rear tire was cupped on both outside edges(was causing a vibration in turns so badly I thought the rear bearings were going away) Always ran 40 psi front and rear. Metz on it now! Hopefully I'll do beter with these.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put on a set of Avon Cobras and whent to a 200 in the rear. the stock duncraps only lasted 5000 miles. I cant believe the differance this thing rides and drives like it should now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I opted for the Metzler 880's when my factory tires wore out. I only had 7000 on it when they were shot. It's the roads as far as I can tell, cause I kept the tire pressure about 2 pounds under max for the tire. I had a rear flat, which broke the steel mesh inside, and got another metzler. The front I changed at about 14000 with a different make than metzler, cause the reports I had were that the tire should last around 14000 miles. NOT HARDLY. So, now I have 20000 on it and the front is just beginning to show active wear. I probably have another 5 to 7k miles before I deem it un-roadworthy. Metzler didn't live up to their reputation, for me.

let me clarify this a bit. The original tires had 7000 on them when they were shot. Then I replaced them with the metzlers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Have had mixed results with dunnies. The original set went 16k, soooo, why not try another set. Second set only went half the miles of first set. Maybe I'm a sucker but I went and put another set on it to see if it can go 2 out of 3 sets with good milage. So far so good with 10k on this set.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Glad to see you are still kicking Steel. Wishing you a great day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts