Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2004 VTX 1300S and after filling up and making a trip I had to switch to my fuel reserve. I don't know how many miles I put on it but after hitting reserve I went to the gas station and it only took 2 gallons to fill it up. Should I be needing to switch to reserve after 2 gallons of gas? I've never hit my reserve before and it seems like I've always been able to go lower than 2 gallons.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,268 Posts
You have a 4.8 gallon tank and have about a gallon of that for reserve if you are filling up all the way to the top.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You sure it wasn't some other issue that made it sound like you were out of gas? Did you look in the tank/shake it?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Right but should I have to switch to reserve with 2.8 gallons left?
No. If everything is working correctly you have a 4.8 gallon tank. The last gallon is the reserve portion. Changing the position of the petcock valve allows the fuel to be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You sure it wasn't some other issue that made it sound like you were out of gas? Did you look in the tank/shake it?
It acted just like it was running out of gas. As soon as as I switched to reserve it disappeared. I switched it back to the main tank and it started acting up again. Bad petcock?

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
825 Posts
From my understanding the petcock picks up fuel from two different locations, the top being the regular, and the reserve location picks up fuel lower down. Perhaps there is something wrong with the regular location??? Since you can run without issue on reserve. If you can run on reserve from full to say 120 miles, there clearly is something wrong with the petcock.

It can't be a vent issue, because I would think it would cut out at any petcock location until vacuum decreases.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It acted just like it was running out of gas. As soon as as I switched to reserve it disappeared. I switched it back to the main tank and it started acting up again. Bad petcock?
Possibly trash in the tank that blocked or restricted the flow. What is the history of the bike? You own from new? Just buy it? Has it been sitting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possibly trash in the tank that blocked or restricted the flow. What is the history of the bike? You own from new? Just buy it? Has it been sitting?

Nothing in the tank. I'm not the original owner but I've been riding it for two years now. Only sits in the winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nothing in the tank. I'm not the original owner but I've been riding it for two years now. Only sits in the winter.
I had a similar problem, when I pulled the petcock off I found the fuel strainer was collapsed/deformed around the tube. I replaced the fuel stainer and problem solved. I blamed ethanol.

Reactions: 07Blackcherry
1 - 12 of 12 Posts