Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a good aftermarket fuel gauge for a vtx1300. I use the odometer to measure distance and around 150 mils. start looking for a gas station but would feel a lot more comfortable with a real gauge. Planning along road trip this summer and don't want to get stuck. Any help appreciated! Thanks, ncvtx1300

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, a fuel gauge would be nice! I guess Honda wanted to save some $ on production by not giving us a fuel gauge. Enjoy your road trip. I put on 1,000 last summer on a road trip. Just keep an eye on that odometer!!

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
I don't really understand this. If you are consistenly getting about 150 miles before having to switch to the reserve, then that's your gauge. The sportbike I had prior to my VTX didn't have a gauge, but it did have a light. Basically, the light does the same thing as the reserve. When either the light went on, or I have to switch to reserve, I have a gallon of gas left. If you know the miles you are getting out of a tank, then you should know how much gas you have left my looking at your odometer. Just my .02

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't really understand this. If you are consistenly getting about 150 miles before having to switch to the reserve, then that's your gauge. The sportbike I had prior to my VTX didn't have a gauge, but it did have a light. Basically, the light does the same thing as the reserve. When either the light went on, or I have to switch to reserve, I have a gallon of gas left. If you know the miles you are getting out of a tank, then you should know how much gas you have left my looking at your odometer. Just my .02

DITTO- On my bike I ALWAYS have to switch over to the reserve at 155 miles plus or minus 5 miles. This measurement is way more accurate than any fuel gauge would be.

·
Not as old as I feel...
1,442 Posts
Motorcycle fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I agree that if you consistently get 150 miles per tank, then use your trip meter. All you have to do with either the trip meter or a gauge is look at it and comprehend what it's telling you. If you are worried about the trip meter losing its place, then make sure your battery connections are tight. If you still truly want a gauge, then get a Garmin Zumo GPS. At least then you will have a gauge that does something constructive too.

G26

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agree on the gauge. I used to miss a fuel gauge as well, but got used to using the trip odometer, and its always accurate when its time to flip the switch and look for a gas station.

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
The $100 or so you might spend retrofitting a gauge would more than pay for Motow plus $50 in extra gas.

Ride until you stall, flip it to reserve, then you have another 20 miles to get to a gas station. If you note how many miles your riding style takes to get you to reserve, you should be fine.

Unlike most four-wheeled vehicles, the motorcycle gas tanks sit at an angle, which can change more or less due to air pressure, rake, shocks, payload, and more. Plus whereas the other vehicles remain mostly upright during turns and lane shifts, the motorcycle is meant to lean through them, and would constantly send false or inaccurate information.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the info. I also have a Suzuki that has a fuel gauge, clock and 2 trip odometers. Just got used to the "finer things in life". Now need to get used to a little less. Honda power and dependability are worth it. Thanks again, NCVTX1300

·
Registered
7 Posts
i see alot of you guys saying you are getting around 150 miles +/- 5 miles out of your tank...any suggestions on why mine isn't getting near that much milage? im averaging around 119 then have to switch to reserve...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sounds like a heavy throttle hand. :)

i see alot of you guys saying you are getting around 150 miles +/- 5 miles out of your tank...any suggestions on why mine isn't getting near that much milage? im averaging around 119 then have to switch to reserve...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get about 139 before I have to go to reserve, but I know I can get at least another 36 miles on reserve. Learned that on my first ride home from purchasing it at the dealership.

·
Deplorable member
7,392 Posts
At 150 + or - i usually fill up and almost always take 3- 3.3 gallons

·
Reeling Jackwagon
9,036 Posts
You have an 1800. That could be part of it! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Ditto......just make sure to set your petcock valve to "on" position and not "reserve" position when running.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Ummm, really??....You have your bike listed as a 2010 VTX 1800...A couple things don't add up...

First off, the VTX 1800 model run ended with the 2008 model year, killing off that engine...And the last year for the VTX 1300 is 2009....So no such thing as a 2010 VTX, period......

Second, no VTX 1800 has a petcock to "switch to reserve", just a low fuel light on the dash panel....

Now how about being truthful about what bike you actually have??...If you even own a bike...

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,557 Posts
Ummm, really??....You have your bike listed as a 2010 VTX 1800...A couple things don't add up...

First off, the VTX 1800 model run ended with the 2008 model year, killing off that engine...And the last year for the VTX 1300 is 2009....So no such ting as a 2010 VTX, period......

Second, no VTX 1800 has a petcock to "switch to reserve", just a low fuel light on the dash panel....

Now how about being truthful about what bike you actually have??...If you even own a bike...
...well, he's your friend! :icon_chee

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,557 Posts
Accepted it only because it was the only way to get rid of the notification whenever I got on here...Tried unsuccessfully to delete it 4 times yesterday...

Annnd fixed that.....
yeah, and that dude's other posts look kinda 'troll-ish'

1 - 20 of 33 Posts