Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

About a month ago i purchased a 2006 vtx 1300 from a co-worker
I noticed when he sold it to me that the petcock was sort of wet (gasoline) and that there was a small drip of gasoline forming on the choke.

Today i was riding into work and the bike started sputtering.
I instantly went and flipped the petcock from on to reserve, and nothing happened.. the bike died.
Sure enough, the tank was bone dry...
Had to push it about half a mile to work, not fun. :doh:

I have noticed that I'mm not getting great gas mileage, maybe 150miles per tank.
I'm sure it has something to do with the leak.

But what all do i need to replace? It seems weird to me that the reserve was drained even when i had the petcock in the on position.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
is the petcock loose and the whole thing turns, if so tighten the big nut where it enters the tank. last year I had gas pour out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to give everything a good thorough check when i get home from work tonight.
I don't want to have to replace the whole petcock assembly, cheapest i could find the part was around $110

·
Mah Nà Mah Nà
662 Posts
I see what you mean. So I did a little research. From what I can tell by looking at the part numbers for both on the OEM websites they are the same.

16950-MEM-674 is the 2006 VTX1300C petcock
16950-MEM-674 is the number they give for an 2004 VTX1300S

Both #s are from Honda Parts House. I would say they are the same.

·
Mah Nà Mah Nà
662 Posts
Whats funny, I went back to that same website, looked at the part #s on both and they are the same! Odd they would have a different price on them for the same part!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
All models of 1300 use the exact same petcock from 2004 on up....2003 1300's used a different petcock that doesn't have the vacuum line port, as 2003 1300's had a fuel pump...

Now back to the first post...JZeFF are you 100% positive you had the petcock in "on" and not "reserve"???...Not trying to insult your intelligence or that, but we have no idea of your experience in riding/bikes and whatnot...The long part of the handle pointing down is "ON", pointing forward is "OFF", and pointing up is "RESERVE"....There have been cases where the owner had "ON and "RESERVE" mixed up on accident...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts