Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading the post. I have an 05 1300R with 15k mi. It was mostly stock but was drilled by a previous owner. I de smogged and decap'd it and put in a K&N filter then added the FP 215 main, 58 slow and put the clip on the 3rd groove from the blunt end. I don't remember where the AF ended but it ran great. Last weekend I swapped the stock (drilled) exhaust with a set of Cobra Dragsters with baffles in place. I put a 220 main in and moved the clip the the 4th groove. I set the AF at 2 turns and she fired right up. It runs better than ever and I made no other adjustments. But now I notice after I shut it off there is a strong odor of gas fumes in the garage a few minutes later. I never had that before. I've pulled and replaced the tank twice to check all the vacuum hoses, which are only a year old, and everything is snug. I see no fuel in or around the airbox and no leaks around the petcock. Any advice on what else I could check would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
Remove and check the color of all four plugs to determine if you are running rich.

Reactions: Tom P.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I pulled all four plugs. Three of the four are somewhat fouled. The front right looks fine. The rest are black and sooty. They were new this season and have less than 1000 miles. Last night I removed the choke and installed a stronger spring. I haven't ridden it yet. If it's still too rich what's next, clip or jet? I've got the 220 and 4th clip. It runs great, it just smells and maybe fouling the plugs.

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
You should go through the carb tuning process as outlined in the pinned thread here on the Cafe titled something like, "carb - what effects what".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upate. Thanks for reading the posts. I finally got it resolved. I swapped out the 220 for a 210 and found a fuel leak on the back side of the float bowl in the process. The gasket was pinched. I also found a shim stuck inside the piston cup. I guess I should have left my glasses on. So now its 210, shimless 4th notch with no leaks and 1 and a fat 3/4 on the AF. Its running great, no fumes or fuel smell. I'll check back on the plugs to see if they're still fouling after I roll some miles.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,637 Posts
Charlie D always advised to look for something simple when solving a carb problem. Sometimes I put a very small dab of spark plug boot grease in an area where a gasket just won't play nice. Keeps it lined up. I also put allen head screws in the top cover for the slide and the bottom for the bowl. I took one of each to Northwest Hardware to get a match. Much easier to work with, will last longer too.
Glad you found where the stink was ... (y)

RIP Charlie ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts