Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm unable to get my bike started after a long winter. I am suspicious it's the fuel pump because I can't hear it priming when I turn on the ignition switch. I would like to rule out the fuse but I'm unable to identify which fuse is in the fuel pump loop right now. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
you have a 2004 VTX-1300R.. I though only the 2003 had a fuel pump... I could be wrong.

vacuum controlled petcock... check behind petcock for a cracked vacuum hose.. but if you have a fuel pump.. no vacuum control

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could be correct. I'm only mildly dangerous working on engines etc. I learn by Googling, breaking things an cussing.

In this case, I've confirmed at least 1/4 spark plugs are firing; plenty of gas; petcock 'ON'; full charge, etc. I was able to get it to run for a brief moment spraying carb cleaner behind the air cleaner. That's all I know right now.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
It did start briefly on spray.... so spark and air.... no fuel... check for cracked vacuum hoses.. from petcock to "T" to engine...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm back. :)

1. I drained the carbs (getting the air cleaner housing off is bullshit. I had to lift the tank to remove it ?!)...and turned the petcock back on to see if it would refill. Nothing.
2. I blew into the fuel line from the petcock side going to the carb to see if I could pass air into the float and I couldn't push air through, so I'm 99% sure the float is stuck in the off position.
3. I tried spraying some carb cleaner down the fuel line and knocked the carb a little with the butt of my screwdriver (while the drain was open) and nothing.
4. I tried to turn it over once more with the choke open just out of desperation.

Any other ideas? It looks like removing the bowl without removing the WHOLE damned thing is going to be impossible.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
you may not be able to blow past the float valve... and yes remove carb to check/clean float/valve/seat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking for resources on removal now. Are there any good links on the forums you are aware of? **Ideally, I could start with just the float bowl cover versus tearing out the whole carb because that looks like a job!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Sorry .. I am NO help of links or videos.... I just wrench.... and OLD...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
The Petcock is controlled by a small vacuum line on opposite side from fuel line...
No gas will flow if that line is not on and in good condition....

With engine off there is NO Vacuum...
You can suck on that line or a short piece hooked up to see if gas flows...

Make sure its on, mine pulls off easily, especially if I remove the tank or lift it.......

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
There is a rubber boot that holds the carb to the manifold. This boot is held to the manifold by one screw tightened strap and to the carb by a second screw tightened strap. If you loosen the strap holding the boot to the carb, you may be able to wiggle the carb enough to access the float bowl bolts more easily. Watch that you don't put too much torque onto where the throttle/idle cables enter the carb. Also, note that part of the accelerator pump mechanism attaches to the float bowl I think. You may need to disconnect the arm by removing a tiny cotter pin and washer.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Madphill. Since your bike is 11 years old you need to replace all the Vacume lines as they get brittle over time.
As FRANKCAT said above there is a small Vacume hose on left rear of the petcock and if it is not connected it will not start , that Vacume opens the petcock and allows gas to flow.
Make sure you have enough gas in tank and the lever is pointing down.

Donut

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
And there is no fuel pump on your bike....

99% of the time if you're not getting gas to the carb, it's the vacuum line that supplies vacuum to the petcock that is the issue...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts