Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran out of gas. Manual says capacity is 4.76 US gallons, and it took 4.4 gallons to fill. Where were the other .3 gallons?
Also, when filling, I top off, and the level drops. I top off again, and the level drops, over and over, again. Where is it going?
Is there a crossover tube that is partially clogged?

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
One would suppose it is going into the air gap above the fuel line in the tank neck (on the high side)., or into the overflow and on to the ground or a canister.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air gap, perhaps. Nothing spilling on the ground.
Just found the crossover tube (didn't recall seeing one the many times I have removed the tank!), and it is pinched...
That explains the topping-off phenomenon as well as inability to fully use available gas.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Air gap, perhaps. Nothing spilling on the ground.
Just found the crossover tube (didn't recall seeing one the many times I have removed the tank!), and it is pinched...
That explains the topping-off phenomenon as well as inability to fully use available gas.
Crossover tube? On a 1300 tank? I've taken the tanks off of 1300's probably 40 times for my wife's bike and at various tech sessions and never once noticed any sort of crossover tube. Where is it?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct. Without removing the tank, it appeared to run from side-to-side...not the case (though it is not routed as in the shop manual). It was the air vent tube that was pinched. I'm still stymied as to why the right side does not empty.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
When I painted my tank in 2010 I couldn't get every bit of fuel out either...No matter how I turned it, it wouldn't empty completely...Finally let it sit open and evaporate on it's own...

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Is it possible to sit so nose down that a significant amount of fuel would be left on the high side?

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
it does not matter if it is on a bike or on a 2 mill$ helicopter every tank will have an amount of unusable fuel, the petcock is in the low spot of one side of the tank there is no way way to get the low spot on the other side of the tank it is just the nature of the beast...

I know nothing but did stay at a holiday inn express last night

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Yup...there will always be a bit of fuel that will be inaccessible. On all of the bikes I've owned, I've run them dry to give me a good idea of how much usable fuel (and miles) I can count on. On my 1300 I remember 4.2 gallons being the usable capacity of the tank. Just carry some spare fuel in a bottle before trying this. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because there were no gas stations for many, many miles and, based on my average fuel consumption and fuel capacity, I should have been able to make it with miles to spare...IF the tank didn't hold back a third of a gallon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts