Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and never really got the answer I wanted, so I will ask.

When you remove a fuel tank off a 1800, and all the fuel I can get is out, what is everyone doing to prevent any fuel left in the tank from getting all over the bike and the shop??

Thanks and Merry X-mas

·
Registered
875 Posts
There should be a shut off valve? half way when switching to the reserve tank. I have a 1300 but i believe the setup is similar. When the valve is closed nothing comes out just keep the hoses elevated or some will come out from there. Also there is a overfill hose in the back (at their is on the 1300) keep the tank level and nothing will come out of there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 1800, they do not have a reserve valve, they have an idiot light.

But thanks.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Some folks pump it out. Myself, I will either run it dry, or have another hose close by that drains into a gas can.

BTW, nice color choice.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've run it as dry as possible and the drained it, the other option is to stick a screw the same size as the hose id witha small clamp. put a rag under it to catch any spill.

Doug

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Cruiser, I take a golf tee, cut it in half with a pair of side cutters and stuff it in the port where the hose came off. It won't leak, I've done this many times. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it removed, it didn't go as I hoped. There wasn't very much fuel left, but enough to make a mess on the floor and make me have to change my clothes. I had a gas can with a hose, tried to pull it off and put my thumb over the end, until the hose to the gas can could be slipped on, probably lost a half cup.

It looks like if a person could find a short inline shutoff, there would be room enough.

MOJO65, that looks like a good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Install one of these and its no longer an issue. Self sealing quick disconnect.

part numbers
5012K83 & 5012K86 order one each. and two 5/8 flat spring clamps
from http://www.mcmaster.com/
That's a nice system. And cheap. However, the site says that it can be used with Air, Ethanol, Methanol, Water. Doesn't say anything about gasoline. I'm no chemist, but ethanol and methanol are alcohol based while gasoline is petroleum based. How long have you been using that set up.

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Im not the originator of that setup. It came off the OA several years ago, Ive seen no posts of any leaks, brakes or other problems. I have the parts in hand but not installed on my bike. there is one bike here in CO with that setup for over a year that Im aware of.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OA board huh. Can't trust those guys over there...lol...j/k. Only reason I asked is that I have read other threads where folks used an inline petcock setup that tended to leak after a year or so, especially in colder weather areas.

I got it removed, it didn't go as I hoped. There wasn't very much fuel left, but enough to make a mess on the floor and make me have to change my clothes. I had a gas can with a hose, tried to pull it off and put my thumb over the end, until the hose to the gas can could be slipped on, probably lost a half cup.
Hey, it could have been worse.....

:banghead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts