Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched from a half helmet to a full face. I never thought the small sun visor on the half helmet did much. But the full face has no visor, and it's damn near impossible to see when I'm driving into the brilliant Florida sunshine. Boy, that little visor on the 1/2 made a ton of difference.

Was thinking about maybe masking the top 1 inch of the flip up face shield. Thinking I could tip my head down just a little to get some relief. But I know I can't be the first one to have this issue, so thought I'd throw it out there for comments first.

A tinted face shield really doesn't do anything when you're driving into the Florida sun. So was looking for a different option.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
When I was growing up in Fla, I always used polarized sunglasses along with a full face with a tinted shield in the up position. It's not perfect but it worked well for me.
(And as a extra bonus when you wear them on a boat you can see into the water like it's crystal clear :D)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just switched from a half helmet to a full face. I never thought the small sun visor on the half helmet did much. But the full face has no visor, and it's damn near impossible to see when I'm driving into the brilliant Florida sunshine. Boy, that little visor on the 1/2 made a ton of difference.

Was thinking about maybe masking the top 1 inch of the flip up face shield. Thinking I could tip my head down just a little to get some relief. But I know I can't be the first one to have this issue, so thought I'd throw it out there for comments first.

A tinted face shield really doesn't do anything when you're driving into the Florida sun. So was looking for a different option.
If you are looking for a new helmet the HJC has a open face model that has an internal sunsheild that comes down 1/2 way the clear front sheild and then pops up when you don't want it. Nice helmet. If you don't want to go that route how about 3M window tints or such. You could do just the top 1 inch. Good luck. Doug

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Go to your auto store and pick up a sunblocker screen that they use to tint the windows. Cut out a small strip and apply it to the top of the full face helmet on the plastic shield. Will make a big difference in reducing glare and is easily removable if you don't like it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I wear an HJC 3/4 and I have the lower half of the shield covered with black vinyl. It works great as a sun visor when I need to flip it up. Kinda like the bill of a baseball cap. And it's not in the way when I flip the shield down.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 with a internal flip visor. I changed it to the dark smoke and it has worked for anything I have riden into so far.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Scorpion EXO-1000 with a internal flip visor. I changed it to the dark smoke and it has worked for anything I have riden into so far.
My half is an EXO 100, with a smoked visor. Doesn't cut it.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
What jacksvtx said. A strip of window tint across the top of the face shield works wonders. If it isn't dark enough, double up on the tint.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
If you are looking for a new helmet the HJC has a open face model that has an internal sunsheild that comes down 1/2 way the clear front sheild and then pops up when you don't want it. Nice helmet. If you don't want to go that route how about 3M window tints or such. You could do just the top 1 inch. Good luck. Doug
That's the HJC IS 33. Don't bother with this helmet if the internal sun shield is what you want. I have one and the "dark smoke" shield is too light to do any good. Having said that, the helmet itself is great. I bought it prior to a long trip last summer to keep the super hot air off the hot August road from my face and eyes. The clear outer shield is UV coated and the ventilation is second to none. A good helmet but I have no idea what they were thinking about with that POS sun shield. :hmm2:

Ride Safe:choppersm

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I was reading somewhere online about taking the visor off and painting the top one inch or so. will cut down on the sun, but still allow you to see forward

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have two full faced helmets one has a chrome shield on it the other just clear, the chrome shield helps big time but if its too sunny and its not enough i can still wear sunglasses in the helmet without any interferance. My helmets are scorpion exo700 . hope that helps.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. Since I just bought this helmet, I'm not going to buy yet another. Guess I'll experiment with electric tape on the shield and see how it goes.

No, I won't leave it all electric taped up. That's what duct tape is for, fer chrissake.....

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I tried to use some tinted film at the top of my FF shield but that didn't work to well because of the compound curves. So, what I did was DYE the shield dark along the top edge using RIT dye. This worked well and with this strip along the top all I ahve to do is tip my head down a little to block any sun. The strip is still SEE-THROUGH so even at night it is not a problem for those hi-beams some people refuse to dim.

The way to dye the shiled is to put the helmet on and then mark a line just above your eye sight. Then put the helmet on and tip you head down a little and make sure your looking above the line. Having someone mark the line for you while wearing the helmet is a real help. Then, boil some water in a LARGE DIAMETER pot with the RIT dye in it. I made a little jig to hold the shield away from the edge of the pot and cloths pins for clamping it on. Set the shield into the DYE and wait. You can remove the shield and go out into the sun to see if it is dark enough but it does need to be DARK.

NOTE: Before boiling the dye you can check your jig or clamping by putting the water in and testing how to clamp the shield at the proper depth. I reccomend this because you will probably need to remove and replace the shield a couple times until you get tint you want.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take a look at this, it may help. I had a SunBlocker in an old helmet. It's curved to match the visor. I tried cutting limo tint and it works but it's not easy to get a nice clean cut that matches the helmet. For the price of the SunBlocker it's worth just buying the darned thing.
http://www.super-visor.com/index.html
Thanks for the link. The visor and the tinting both look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Thanks for the link. The visor and the tinting both look pretty good.
Tinting your own visor lets you be in control of the size area and darkness. The best part is it takes a short amount of time and costs $2 or so for the dye.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tinting your own visor lets you be in control of the size area and darkness. The best part is it takes a short amount of time and costs $2 or so for the dye.
I'm leaning towards the add-on visor they sell, at the link given earlier. Tinting just doesn't cut it for me, here in Florida. I think some medication I take makes me more sensitive too.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
A set of these should work:

. I think some medication I take makes me more sensitive too.
Had a co-worker who used to wear the goggles pictured above when we installed galvanized roofing.

Just saying, they will tone down the sun, but colors are not very 'vibrant'

(And you thought I was joking!)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Scorpion makes a nice drop visor helmet with quick change shields. combined with sunglasses you can adjust quickly to the sun conditions of the day. I own the EXO-100 as my half helmet and like it a lot. They also make a very cool full face that sounds like what you are looking for, with an internal drop half shield inside the primary shield. Both are quick change and you can put in whatever shade meets your needs. Very cool helmet, and well designed! EXO-1000 - I intend to get that for next summer. www.scorpionusa.com They make an excellent cost for value helmet. Very well rated, high quality and excellent customer service. Had a small flaw in my sons helmet and they bent over backwards to make it right. Just my 2 cent. D Day

1 - 20 of 35 Posts