Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 VTX1300C: I'm blowing the 10A fuse by activating my brakes (front or back). I've disconnected the rear and it's coming from the front. I replaced the handlebar with another stock (original bent). Everything worked fine prior to switching handlebar. Horn, turn signals work and don't blow the fuse. Changed rear brake switch, disconnected front brake switch and turn signal relay, and it still blows when rear is activated.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
2007 VTX1300C: I'm blowing the 10A fuse by activating my brakes (front or back). I've disconnected the rear and it's coming from the front. I replaced the handlebar with another stock (original bent). Everything worked fine prior to switching handlebar. Horn, turn signals work and don't blow the fuse. Changed rear brake switch, disconnected front brake switch and turn signal relay, and it still blows when rear is activated.
First remove the right rear cover and there is a black boot to the left going up by the frame. These wires are for the rear end lights. If you disconnect all the wires in there and re check. those are the wires for the rear. If it doesn't blow then your problem is in the rear. You might have pinched a wire in the headlight if you had it opened up.
Have you added any lights to the bike. If the rear brake light bulb is in wrong it could cause a problem. Have you done anything to the rear fender/lights.
In the past someone had a wire that got shorted/pinched up under the rear fender toward the rear. The switches will not blow the fuse and neither will the turning signal relay. Dose the running lights work with just the key turned on.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected the rear lights and it still blows. I have the Kurykayn Constellation driving lights/signals installed back in 2008. The bike fell over a few months ago and slightly bent the handlebar on the right side. I replaced it and repositioned the grips and switches in a matter of minutes. I unplugged the hot leads to the driving lights, but not the turn signals. I'm going to try unplugging the turn signals tonight. Since the horn, turnsignals and brake lights are on the same cirucuit that may help. However, the horn and turnsignals work fine and don't blow the fuse. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disconnected all the lights up front, including turn signals. It still blows immediately after activating the front and rear brake switches. I disconnected the front switch, and it blows with the rear. I put a new rear switch on as well, and it still blows. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I've found my short. It's in the Engine Stop/Starter switch housing. Disconnecting the 9pin plug (from ES/S) in the headlight allows the rear brake light to work fine without blowing fuse. I must have done something stupid when I reinstalled it on the new handlebar.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Think I've found my short. It's in the Engine Stop/Starter switch housing. Disconnecting the 9pin plug (from ES/S) in the headlight allows the rear brake light to work fine without blowing fuse. I must have done something stupid when I reinstalled it on the new handlebar.
If you have a multimeter you can isolate where the problem is.

Follow the diagram in the manual from plug to plug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the headlight works. Everything was working perfectly until I changed the handlebars. I never would have thought it could be in the engine stop/start housing since it was so easy to unscrew, slip off, and put back on the new bars. I'll use a multimeter to find out where the short is located as well. Hopefully I can figure that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Did you unplug the wires in the boot to isolate the problem from the rear end.
Also the stop switch has nothing to do with the brake light circuit.
It is just a common open close switch in line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did unplug the rear end. That was the first thing that I did. The fuse still blew activating both front and rear brakes with no rear lights. I reconnected the rear, then unplugged the turnsignals, headlights, and driving lights. It still blew. I looked on the wiring diagram and see that the W/G wire is common to the horn, front brake switch, turn signal relay, and rear brake light switch. The front brake switch goes thru the Engine Stop/Starter switch and into the headlight via a 9-pin plug. When I unplug this 9-pin plug, the rear brake switch works without blowing the fuse. I assumed it would be in this housing since it's unplugged and the fuse doesn't blow. I'm sorry. My electrical knowledge is limited.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
In order to blow 10 amp fuse you have a short to ground. I'd follow all the harnesses/wiring and see if you have a pinched wire something. One in the past pinched a wire on one of the headlight mounting bolts.

Could you have pinched a wire when reinstalling the starter switch.
Also are those Kurykayn Constellation driving lights/signals installed threw a relay and not wired into the bike wiring.
If it is run threw the bike wiring then you could have burnt up the starter switch.

If the bike runs then it cannot be the engine stop switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I'll check the wiring into the headlight....and yes, I did a no-no and wired the driving lights into the headlight assembly....I just ordered the relay kit and will do it the right way.
The bike runs fine, so it's not the stop switch.
I'll check the starter switch as well. I'll let you know what I find out.

It will take me a couple of days to check
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Thanks! I'll check the wiring into the headlight....and yes, I did a no-no and wired the driving lights into the headlight assembly....I just ordered the relay kit and will do it the right way.
The bike runs fine, so it's not the stop switch.
I'll check the starter switch as well. I'll let you know what I find out.

It will take me a couple of days to check
Thanks so much!
If it is not having any problems starting and the headlight goes out when it starts then it is not the starter switch. check for a pinched wire somewhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One more bit of information from tonight. I was looking at my wiring diagram and thinking about what you said about the driving lights and me replacing the handlebars. I saw that the headlight dimmer switch feeds into the 9-pin plug as well. I reconnected the red 9-pin plug and disconnected the black plug which has the turn signals/dimmer/horn switch.. Brake lights work fine now. The headlight is disconnected, but it still blows. I'm wondering now if it's grounding thru the headlight dimmer switch (Bu/W) wire.

I'm sorry for all the back and forth, but as you likely know, this electrical stuff can drive one nuts!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Most likely it is going to be something you have wires and not the bike wring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts