Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Gafler Brake lines on my 2005 VTX1800F about three years ago. I love the improved feel, both front & rear. My only issue, is every spring the rear brake pedal goes all the way down, and I got NOTHING.... I turn around, go back home, and bleed the rear. I ALWAYS get a surprising amount of air out of the rear? I have no idea why this happens???? I ride the rest of my season-zero issues, no fading, no "spongey" feeling, and all is right with the world. I don't know how this is even possible? It defies logic. I keep the reservoirs full, and do nothing but let the bike sit over the winter, yet every spring I somehow get air in the rear. Has anyone else experienced this? I have done Gafler braided lines on my last six bikes, and NEVER had an issue like this on any other bike. Any help would be appreciated, thanks-

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Perhaps it is not the fault of the new Galfer (note the correct spelling) brake lines and the problem just occurred coincidentally with your brake line change. If this is the case, the problem could be a very slow leak around one or more of the many pistons in the calipers.

Reactions: FRNKCAT

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
sadly.. the gov-ment banned the coloring die for brake fluid in 2014....

hoses, bango seals, rear caliper seals, master cylinder seals, linked valve, front calipers.... its leaking someplace... ( very small leak )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here we are in 2020. My choice is to order a roll of steel braided hose. Specs look good for the hose. Banjo bolts will colored.
Biggest shortcoming is obtaining crimping tool for fittings. I have yet to find pliers for crimping.
Also, as y'all know, front brake also activates rear brake. I've found T fittings that are different from OEM. Comments?

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Crimping your own brake fittings is not something I've heard of people doing to bikes. Of course, if done properly, it will work. I question the ability of a novice with incorrect tools to do this correctly. There is not much on the bike more important than the brakes. Of course, if you have the knowledge/ability and the proper tools, this alleviates any concerns. Without those, however, I would order the lengths needed directly from the brake supplier with the banjos already installed and in the correct clocking positions already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts