Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if and or where I can get a new seal for my gas cap? When I bought the bike the guy just put a new gas cap on it because he was having problems with the old one. It looks as if the seal is the problem that it has dried up and is to hard to push the cap on and latch. It sucks having two separate keys. I tried a little to remove the seal from the new cap but stopped in fear of destroying the seal. If no one sells the seal by itself is there a way to switch the lock cylinders?

·
Super Moderator
10,754 Posts
My wife had her 1300R repainted this spring. We took the gas cap off the tank and left it off for about a month during the repainting. When we tried to put it back on, it was VERY hard to get it to "latch". This turns out to have been because it dried out. Once the cap was back on the tank, the tank was full of gas, and the cap was in place for a few days to absorb the gas fumes, the seal swelled and fit correctly. Would there be any way to soak the old seal in some gas to swell it? Maybe that would allow it to work again.

G'day,

Vinish

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
My wife had her 1300R repainted this spring. We took the gas cap off the tank and left it off for about a month during the repainting. When we tried to put it back on, it was VERY hard to get it to "latch". This turns out to have been because it dried out. Once the cap was back on the tank, the tank was full of gas, and the cap was in place for a few days to absorb the gas fumes, the seal swelled and fit correctly. Would there be any way to soak the old seal in some gas to swell it? Maybe that would allow it to work again.

G'day,

Vinish
Mine did the same thing...Lubed it up with WD40 and got it to go on the tank with some effort...Got gas the next day and it was a little stiff still.... Filled it up today, and no problem...:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I threw the whole cap in a container of gas overnight. Riped it off the next day and it was like new. It worked like a charm. Thanks

Does anyone know what I could use for coolant line to the carb? One of them cracked and sprung a leak. Don't know if the auto store carries anything that small exempt fuel line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts