Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Gas tank vent line

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Vinish 
#1 ·
Gents,
Where does the vent line end up in the tank? Last time I shook and rattled the gas tank with vinegar, I don't remember anything coming out of the vent line. Is it possible it is blcoked? IF so, can i take some air pressure to it? Cheers

#2 ·
I am not sure I understand your question. If you mean, where does the vent line exit the tank, it is near the riders inner right thigh - that is, the back lower right of the tank. You could blow into this nipple to see if the vent line was blocked or attach a temporary hose to this nipple and blow in that hose. If you are asking where inside the tank the vent line ends up, why does this matter? The metal portion of the vent line inside the tank follows a convoluted and twisty path. It can get plugged although this usually happens from someone inserting something into the external nipple and then that something breaking off in the vent line.

#3 ·
I figured that sense I was sloshing my tank with vinegar, and never noticed anything come out of the vent, which it should have, Maybe I was thinking if I turn the tank upside down when sloshing, I could determine better where it is at?

#6 ·
You can try a small flexible but strong (to prevent it breaking) wire. Perhaps that coupled with some solvent might help. The problem is that the vent line has multiple bends so it is difficult to get the wire very far into the line.

#7 ·
Hey Vinish,
Yeah, I got about 12" in. I used a 14 gauge ground wire, which I got in about 12'. It did break. Very fortunate for me, there was just enough beef for me to get it out.. IT almost feels it dead ends. COmpressed air , no go. PB Blaster, who knows. What I did this morning is to put in a little bit of Evapo-Rust. LEt it sit. IF rust is the culprit, just maybe........ ONce I get my five gallon, I will fill up the tank and maybe that would get from other side. IF all else fails, Ibet there are vented gas caps?

#8 ·
Hey Vinish,
Yeah, I got about 12" in. I used a 14 gauge ground wire, which I got in about 12'. It did break. Very fortunate for me, there was just enough beef for me to get it out.. IT almost feels it dead ends. COmpressed air , no go. PB Blaster, who knows. What I did this morning is to put in a little bit of Evapo-Rust. LEt it sit. IF rust is the culprit, just maybe........ ONce I get my five gallon, I will fill up the tank and maybe that would get from other side. IF all else fails, Ibet there are vented gas caps?
I have not found another style gas cap other than OEM. I would imagine, if you wanted something else, you would have to cut out the current gas "hole" and replace it with on designed for the gas cap you wanted. It would also have to work with our cluster...

#9 ·
Do a search here and on Google for something like "vented gas cap" and "drilling hole in gas cap". I wonder if it is possible to vent your existing gas cap and if anyone has ever done this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.