Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began to take a ride yesterday and saw no spots on the garage floor, so i started her up and rode . I ran out of fuel after only a mile or so and knew according to my odometer, that I should have had over 1/2 tank.:hmm2: I knew it did not evaporate so I went home and checked the oil to find it weak and overfull. I assume my carb float stuck and it drained into the crankcase. The oil was thin but did not smell of gasoline.

Question #1, any other ideas about why?

Question #2, anything else I need to do besides and immediate oil change?
:banghead: thanks for the help,
Bob

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
Something doesn't add up. 1/2 tank of gas would overflow the the crankcase and the oil should smell like gas.

Whatever, you are at risk of major problems. Whatever problems you have need to be identified before riding the bike again.

Good luck.

Geezer

·
Registered
141 Posts
were you running on reserve? I sometimes have it on reserve on my way to the gas station and forget to turn it down when I refuel. Hopefully it's that simple?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jmeon11,
I was not running on reserve as the bike quit, I changed to reserve then rode home. I am hoping that there was less fuel in the tank than I remember and the Carb just free-flowed what was in the tank to the crankcase. I have not investigated it further yet...just lookiing for ideas as to where to look and what I HAVE to do to be safe when I regroup.

Geezer,
Nothing adds up as it sounded completely normal both before it ran out of fuel, and after I changed the pitcock to reserve and rode it home. I turneed it to off and will not be able to do much more till the weekend. Other ideas?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad pitcock valve. It takes a vacuum from the engine to make the valve open. So if you are getting gas running to the carb when it is not running then the valve is leaking. I be leave there is a rebuild kit available for it. It is not hard to rebuild but you will have to remove the tank to do it. (set on its side so the gas wont run out)

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts