Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and mechanical oil/water temperature gauge be hoked up to VTX 1300R? found a 3 gauge set with them and volt meter thought would look sweet in my fairing wondering if could be hooked up or not thanks.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
I don't know but I'd like to hear that as well. Can't say I want to add a fairing to hold these things but a small guage pod in between the risers would be a good addition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well mine had fairing when I bought it can't say I would have added one my self but it's there :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would assume that you could, voltage is voltage and oil pressure is oil pressure. You would just have to get the right fittings to adapt the standard threads on the gauges to the metric threads on the 1300.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
could a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and mechanical oil/water temperature gauge be hoked up to VTX 1300R? found a 3 gauge set with them and volt meter thought would look sweet in my fairing wondering if could be hooked up or not thanks.
I've never looked into it for my X, but it shouldn't be to hard to do. The volt meter is an easy hook up off the pos lead on the battery. For the oil & water you'd just need to find the pressure & temp sensors for a good source, and then mount a mechanical line/hose adapter in between them and the engine. My father-n-laws Goldwing has gauges set up like that and it works great although it was like that when he got it so I'm no help on where to get the right adapters, you'd probably just need to remove them and take them to a Napa auto parts store and tell them what your looking to do & they should have what you need.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Where do temperature gauges get their reading?

I would love to put an analog temp gauge and and analog tach on my VTX.

I've seen digital tachs for sale. There must be analog ones available too.

Not sure I care if I have an oil pressure gauge, a volt meter, or a fuel gauge.

Ideas anyone? How does Honda do it on Goldwings?

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Check out these gages. Their Marine gages, so they should be waterproof.
Sierra water temp. gage
Sierra Oil Gage
Sierra Voltmeter

I'm thinking about adding a aluminum panel with gages and a starter swich that would replace my riser top cap and would fit between the risers and the windshield.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Check out these gages. Their Marine gages, so they should be waterproof.
Sierra water temp. gage
Sierra Oil Gage
Sierra Voltmeter

I'm thinking about adding a aluminum panel with gages and a starter swich that would replace my riser top cap and would fit between the risers and the windshield.
Thanks for the links. Do the gauges come with sender units that can be installed in the bike?

How do you find someone in your local area who can make an aluminum panel to fit your bike? Do body shops do that kind of work?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I am sure it would not be a problem, Metric auto makers have them in all there autos, so I am sure a metric part came be found. Good Luck...

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Your thermostat sensor is in between the jugs by the carb, and your oil pressure switch is bottom right of the motor. Those are where you would need to tie into with your sensors.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Thanks for the links. Do the gages come with sender units that can be installed in the bike?
You would need the metric sender units as well.

How do you find someone in your local area who can make an aluminum panel to fit your bike? Do body shops do that kind of work?
A body shop might, But I plan to have it machined out of aluminum 1" plate. It will replace the riser top cap. I was a machinist for a lot of years and still have friends that are. I'll do a CAD drawing of what I want and they'll machine it for me. It should cost me around $150 without the gages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts