Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
revving at stop!
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
regarding the final drive gear oil plug-- the outer nut size is 17mm. honda was able to tell me the thread diameter is 14mm but could not tell me the thread pitch. i went to autozone and bought a bunch of oil plugs. the correct size is 14M 1.50 (cost $2.99 including washer)

when i tried to install the new plug with just fingers, i was not sure if i had the correct pitch size in hand because i could not turn the plug very much. i placed a small piece of paper in the hole and inserted my finger to get an imprint on the paper from the threads of the hole. i was able to see that 1.50 seemed to be the correct pitch. then i removed the oil fill cap and noticed its threads matched the 1.50 pitch. now somewhat confident i had the right size plug, i coated the threads of the plug with gear oil and used the 17mm wrench to tighten the plug.

the answer is 14mm plug with 1.50 pitch

(ISO metric screw threads are designated by the letter M followed by the major diameter of the thread in millimeters, e.g. "M8". If the thread does not use the normal "coarse pitch" (e.g., 1.25 mm in the case of M8), then the pitch in millimeters is also appended with a multiplication sign, e.g. "M8×1" if the screw thread has an outer diameter of 8 mm and advances by 1 mm per 360° rotation.
The nominal diameter of a metric screw is the outer diameter of the thread. The tapped hole (or nut) into which the screw fits, has an internal diameter which is the size of the screw minus the pitch of the thread. Thus, an M6 screw, which has a pitch of 1 mm, is made by threading a 6 mm shaft, and the nut or threaded hole is made by tapping threads in a 5 mm hole.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
thanks for the info!!! wa there something you needed help with? it says at the top of the thread you need some info urgently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good info, considering I snapped mine last night and leaving tomorrow morning for Nawlins and local dealer (largest in US) did not have one on the shelf! Should have used the torque wrench...:banghead:

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Good info,

My 17mm wrench and socket are not removing the final drive filler cap... I'm stripping the cap! Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to remove this F*ing thing?
Use only a 6 point socket or end wrench! they have the most contact area on the nut. I think thats a cast aluminum plug so its soft material.

·
Registered
5 Posts
final drive filler cap replacement

I snapped mine off just moments ago! Where is the quickest place to get one from? Since it is the filler cap, my guess is that it needs to be a Honda order?

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
I snapped mine off just moments ago! Where is the quickest place to get one from? Since it is the filler cap, my guess is that it needs to be a Honda order?
Are you talking about the chrome vent cover that is on top of the housing? if so thats not the fill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
nope... not the vent... the 17mm filler cap with the rubber o- ring where you fill the gear oil... just above and to the right of the drain plug

·
Registered
5 Posts
part number

12361-300-000 this is the part number if anyone else needs it. It took me three calls to my dealer (3 different people) and finally third person was able to find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts