Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is yet another silly question I have but here goes. I just bought my first VTX 1300, it's an '06. I was curious, are these bike 5 speed? As in 1 down, 4 up? I can't seem to get it to go into 5th gear if that is the case, or maybe I'm just an idiot. I had the bike inspected before I bought it and they said everything checks out (Certified honda dealership here), so I don't think anything is amiss, but I can't be sure because as you can tell, I know just about nothing about motorcycles. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Only 5 speeds! You will hear many talk about searching for the elusive 6th gear in their threads but that is because it isn't there!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's what I'm asking I guess, does 5 speed mean 1 down, Neutral, 2, 3, 4 or does it mean 1 down, neutral, 2, 3, 4, 5. Because I seem to only be finding 1 down, Neutral, 2, 3, 4.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Should have a 5. Unless the linkage is misadjusted, I can't imagine what would cause this. Take it back to said dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to test if it's going into gear without taking it out on the highway. Like a way to see that it is in fact a 5 speed transmission without getting it out and taking it up to 5th?

·
X Virgin
5,234 Posts
It's 1 down, neutral, 2, 3, 4, 5
If you haven't had it up too speed, you may not get it to fall in.
Ask a buddy who rides to take it for a run (he'll thank you too)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Assuming you're starting from neutral it's 1 down 4 up. It's 1, neutral, 2, 3, 4, 5. Neutral is a half step between 1 and 2 and doesn't actually get counted as a gear in the 4 up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, I'll have to find someone to take it out to get it up to that speed, I'm a new rider and don't yet feel comfortable taking it anywhere I can get it up that fast. Is there a way to check a serial number somewhere to make sure the engine or transmission hasn't been swapped or anything? The VIN on the column checks out, as does the title and registration, but I don't know anything about engines obviously. Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Probably hard or impossible to tell unless you get it up to speed.

CW

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cannot change trans and not the engine. They are one piece in the hondas. Definantly 5 speed.

Good to know, just not sure what else to think with the dealer telling me it's sound and not being able to get it into gear. I'll just have to find someone that knows what's up to ride it for me. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I would think if it were possible to put a 4 speed in there, someone would have figured out how to get a 6 speed in one by by now. When mine is sitting still I can't get it to shift easily, other than 1st, N, or 2nd.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just a thought. When you're riding it, you shift up from first to second gear in one movement. As was said, you don't actually shift into neutral while riding. So, if you're riding and you shift up four times, it is going into fifth gear. Hope that clarifies what has been said. Good luck with your bike. Ride safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, this is yet another silly question I have but here goes. I just bought my first VTX 1300, it's an '06. I was curious, are these bike 5 speed? As in 1 down, 4 up? I can't seem to get it to go into 5th gear if that is the case, or maybe I'm just an idiot. I had the bike inspected before I bought it and they said everything checks out (Certified honda dealership here), so I don't think anything is amiss, but I can't be sure because as you can tell, I know just about nothing about motorcycles. Thanks.
Dude! You picked a helluva first ride. hold on tight!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I did when I posted? it was 11 years ago. What's your point sir?
With no intent to offend you, did you expect an answer from the posters from that long ago? Kinda fruitless. Do as you wish. Merry Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
To answer your question, yes the bike is a 5 speed, although most of us wished it had a sixth gear! The reason for the above post is that posting a question to an eleven year old thread will usually get far fewer replies than if you create a new thread with your question because many long time members don't necessarily read older threads. If you can't get the bike into 5th gear try lubing all of the shifter linkage. If that doesn't help then come back and let us know and we will try helping you through the steps to getting it working again, but the lubing would be the most likely problem and should be serviced first!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts