Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Thumper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to my 08 1300 X and have a question about going on reserve. Is it normal for the X to just die without any sputter of a warning? That's what mine does but it's only got 2500 miles on it and I'm not that familiar with it yet. But that seems/is dangerous. Will it always be this way or will that change once it loosens up and starts getting better mileage? The way it is now I think I'll switch to reserve right at the 125 mile mark cause I'm consistently having to switch at 126. Or gas up at 120 to be on the safe side.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Mine will develope a lean surge that will happen a couple times in quick succession, then run fine for about 2-3 seconds before it will sputter and die....As soon as I feel/hear the surguing, I flip to reserve and check the trip odometer...Ever since adding the fairing, I get to 160 miles consistantly...

When I had just the MS fats windshield, I was getting to 140-145 before having to switch...

·
Thumper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa....adding the fairing and you get 160??? What was you getting before the fairing? Cause I've been thinking about a batwing myself.

·
33,457 Posts
Whoa....adding the fairing and you get 160??? What was you getting before the fairing? Cause I've been thinking about a batwing myself.
140-145...Also running a decap'd airbox with waterjet opened cover, 2 shims on stock needle, Factory Pro 210 main jet, A/F set at 2-5/8 turns out, Vance & Hines Bigshots...I don't abuse the bike, but don't drive it like grandma going to church either...Just rolled over 18,000 miles last weekend...Mine got better mileage as the miles added to the odometer too...But the biggest increase was adding the fairing....Even with the added weight of the fairing, stereo, and speakers, the aerodynamics of adding the fairing made a big difference...

·
Thumper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You talked me into the batwing. You're talking over my head with the rest though. It's enough for me to know you've done a lot though. I've looked at the carb upgrade and it sounds complicated. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have pretty much the same set up as Bill. Decapped airbox, spyker grill mod and stage 3 Factory pro jet kit, and get good mileage also. I get between 42-46 mpg consistantly (I hit 180 on the trip meter on the way home today and still didn't hit reserve).
As for running dry when you hit reserve, it doesn't give you much notice, but you will learn to recognize it.
When I am in stop and go city traffic and know I am getting close, I will go ahead and switch to reserve. You don't want to start out at a light and have the bike die on you, trust me.

·
TGORDO4
39 Posts
+1 on jstar61 and starting out at a light right when you need to switch to reserve. First time it happened to me, I didn't know what was going on. Just rolled the bike to the side of the road.

I don't have a windshield yet (looking at National Cycle) but always get more than 160 out of a tank. Usually around 44-45 mpg, but only 4200 miles on my 2007.

I do get a couple second warning though when I need to change. It's ok when you're doing 55 mph, a lot tougher when you're shifting/breaking in traffic.

Good luck!

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
sputters at about 140-160 depending on how I've driven. switch to reserve, got about another 40 or so

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have never switched to reserve, then again ive only put like 1100+ miles on my bike since ive owned it. Hit 160 miles before fill up, usually fill up around 140 miles though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fairly new to my 08 1300 X and have a question about going on reserve. Is it normal for the X to just die without any sputter of a warning? That's what mine does but it's only got 2500 miles on it and I'm not that familiar with it yet. But that seems/is dangerous. Will it always be this way or will that change once it loosens up and starts getting better mileage? The way it is now I think I'll switch to reserve right at the 125 mile mark cause I'm consistently having to switch at 126. Or gas up at 120 to be on the safe side.
First , yes your bike is new and still tight and prolly not getting it's best mileage. That will come with a little more miles. I think I moved into the 43-45 mpg bracket after 8000m.
Want to find out what it feels like to run out of gas. While driving on a straight road with no one behind you, reach down and turn the petcock to the off position, just wait a few seconds for the gas to be used out of the carb bowl and the engine will sputter about once and quit. Just reach down and turn the gas back on and the engine will fire right back up and no harm will have come to anything.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I used to run mine down t where I had to switch to the reserve every three to four days. I've moved closer to work and now it's more convenient to fill up at a different station so I'm not pushing it as far between fill ups.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Try to avoid gas with large percentage of ethanol. Mileage goes to hell.
Regular gas I get to around 160-70 to reserve. Ethanol blend about 135.
Use regular, permium is waste of money for low compression engine.
P

·
33,457 Posts
Try to avoid gas with large percentage of ethanol. Mileage goes to hell.
Regular gas I get to around 160-70 to reserve. Ethanol blend about 135.
Use regular, permium is waste of money for low compression engine.
P
My 160 is on 10% ethanol blend (all we can get around here)...

·
Thumper
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I'm not filling my tank to the brim but I don't think I'd get that much more. Can you really get another 1/2 gallon in there once it hits the neck? The owners manual says that's as far as you are supposed to fill it, to the bottom of the neck that is. Supposed to leave room for expansion. I know, I shouldn't read the owners manual!!!

·
33,457 Posts
I know I'm not filling my tank to the brim but I don't think I'd get that much more. Can you really get another 1/2 gallon in there once it hits the neck? The owners manual says that's as far as you are supposed to fill it, to the bottom of the neck that is. Supposed to leave room for expansion. I know, I shouldn't read the owners manual!!!
Nopt sure about another 1/2 galllon..that sounds a little far-fetched to me....I fill up with the bike on the kickstand, let's me stretch the legs a bit...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mileage is improving.

I have noticed that as I rack up the miles, my gas mileage is improving. Making a run from San Diego to Huntington Beach last week on the freeay at about 65 to 70 MPH I got about 35 MPG. That is the best I have gotten so far. Could it be the Marvel Mystery Oil? LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts