Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Completely stock engine, except I removed and plated off the PAIR. While Ive got my carburetor hanging loose for something else, Id like to tweak the a/f screw. Would just like to give the bike a bit more to help with startup, maybe even chokeless. Whats a good, safe setting (turns) to put it at? Most what Ive read is 2 to 2.5 turns, thinking of shooting for the middle at 2.25 turns.

I know about the Glenn knob, and maybe one day get it, but for now just trying to find a safe (but better than factory) setting to put it at.

————————————————————

Background: Found a 2006 1300C for decent price. Was kept in a building, so cosmetically excellent condition. Had around 2600 miles on it. I expected some issues from it possibly sitting around for so long, mainly in the fuel system, which is exactly what I found. I had to stick some guitar string up the tank vent pipe, it was completely stopped up. Found the accelerator pump passages completely plugged, pulled out stuff that looked like plumbers putty. Found the main holder’s tip was slighly warped/bent, replaced it and the main jet. Replaced the float needle/valve today for good measure.

Running great (I think), but got a gut feeling it was running a bit rich down the road. The other day I caught a closer passing glance at the choke/enricher knob and noticed previous owner/someone wrapped two small cable ties on it to keep it from being pushed in all the way. So the whole time Ive been riding it, the knob was actually pulled out about 3/8”. If I wasnt a mechanically enclined person, I would’ve been pissed if I bought it as it was.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you may need to tweak the setting to dial it in. This will be a pita without a tool like the permanent or non-permanent from Glenn's garage. Every bike is different, and every area (elevation/humidity/...) is different, so you may get it close from suggestions, but you may still need to adjust it.

I had my bike dyno'ed, so my dial in was in combo of new jets and produces the max power my tuner could get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts