Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would start a thread for my first VTX "build". She's a little rough, but should clean up nicely, I hope! All I really know about the bike is that it has sat for at least 1.5 years. We hooked it up to my truck when I went to see it and it spun freely, but did not run. Carb is gunked up for sure. Tank is going to need to be cleaned up. Thinking of filling with vinegar and sloshing it around for several days to break down some of the rust in there. Petcock is destroyed... so I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions???

I tried a little 0000 steel wool and polish on the exhaust, and it looks as though it will clean up nicely.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
Sorry if you mentioned this, but how does the tank look inside? No rust or as Laser puts it "scungey crap"? Also may need to check/replace vacuum lines, but Seafoam that carb first thing.

Reactions: Wely

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
I figured I would start a thread for my first VTX "build". She's a little rough, but should clean up nicely, I hope! All I really know about the bike is that it has sat for at least 1.5 years. We hooked it up to my truck when I went to see it and it spun freely, but did not run. Carb is gunked up for sure. Tank is going to need to be cleaned up. Thinking of filling with vinegar and sloshing it around for several days to break down some of the rust in there. Petcock is destroyed... so I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions???

I tried a little 0000 steel wool and polish on the exhaust, and it looks as though it will clean up nicely.

SEAFOAM - 4oz in a tankful of fresh gas. Its the best for cleaning a set up carb.

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Rebuild the petcock. I'll take that intake off your hands if you absolutely can not stand it!!!:icon_giggle:

Reactions: sumdatx and Wely

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if you mentioned this, but how does the tank look inside? No rust or as Laser puts it "scungey crap"? Also may need to check/replace vacuum lines, but Seafoam that carb first thing.
Tank is rusty inside... going to be a chore getting it all cleaned out properly. The carb is coming apart, don't think SeaFoam alone will do enough to get it running properly.

You're location shows Exit 7A... is that off the NJ Turnpike? I'm technically 7A too, Jackson, NJ. 5 minutes from Six Flags.

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Reactions: Wely

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebuild the petcock. I'll take that intake off your hands if you absolutely can not stand it!!!:icon_giggle:
I doubt this is salvageable... Plus, I've been doing a little research and I may ditch the fuel pump and go with a vacuum petcock from an 04 up.

Regarding the intake... make me an offer. I would hope that with the other work done to the bike, that the PO had the carb re-jetted for the intake/exhaust. I will see once carb is all apart. That being said, if it is jetted for this setup, I would likely be keeping the intake unless someone were to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. I understand this intake is very rare and highly sought after...

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
I doubt this is salvageable... Plus, I've been doing a little research and I may ditch the fuel pump and go with a vacuum petcock from an 04 up.

Regarding the intake... make me an offer. I would hope that with the other work done to the bike, that the PO had the carb re-jetted for the intake/exhaust. I will see once carb is all apart. That being said, if it is jetted for this setup, I would likely be keeping the intake unless someone were to make me an offer I couldn't refuse. I understand this intake is very rare and highly sought after...
Now we're talking!

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts

I like it but if I was you, I would keep it. I have a stock airbox with an Arlen Ness cover on it. I've never seen another one like it either. Hang on to those rare parts.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

·
Registered
2007 1300C
726 Posts
e-bay has some oem used ones, new ones and aftermarket, or new one from oem parts house, new oem about $110 for vacuum petcock

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honda Part # 16950-MEM-674, correct? I see them for about $100-110 for new. Where can I tap into vacuum for it? I'd like replace all the vacuum lines as well as the fuel lines since the bike has been sitting, a good portion of that time, outside under a cover.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
Tank is rusty inside... going to be a chore getting it all cleaned out properly. The carb is coming apart, don't think SeaFoam alone will do enough to get it running properly.

You're location shows Exit 7A... is that off the NJ Turnpike? I'm technically 7A too, Jackson, NJ. 5 minutes from Six Flags.

Im right down 195 from you in the Hamilton/Robbinsville area. If ya wanna meet up I can more easily show you things Ive learned than type them. I may also have some parts you may need/can use. You can ask just about anyone here, if I have a relatively inexpensive item you can use (under 100 bucks), I will give it to you at no charge. Id rather see someone use it.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Anyone can have a stock intake... This rare part just adds value.

I have one, but Im currently running a Cobra Powr-Flo intake. My comprehension sucks today - I thought you needed a stock intake.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
Honda Part # 16950-MEM-674, correct? I see them for about $100-110 for new. Where can I tap into vacuum for it? I'd like replace all the vacuum lines as well as the fuel lines since the bike has been sitting, a good portion of that time, outside under a cover.

You can run a "T" off the main vacuum line and stab one side into the petcock.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
726 Posts
You can run a "T" off the main vacuum line and stab one side into the petcock.

yes, that's the one or 16950-MEM-673 or 674

·
Deplorable member
7,414 Posts
Looks like the stocker to me.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
726 Posts
looks like the original, more or less

Fuel Vacuum Petcock Fits Honda VTX1300C VTX1300R VTX1300S VTX1300T 16950-MEM-674
  • Brand new petcock replaces Honda part# 16950-MEM-674, it fits Honda VTX1300C VTX1300R VTX1300S VTX1300T
  • Package contains: 1 X Petcock
  • Full refund guarantee if does not fit.
  • Order from Monday to Friday before 3pm. We would try make same day shipping or next day shipping at least. Orders in weekend or holiday would go to Monday. Please feel free to contact us if any concern.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
looks like the original, more or less

fuel vacuum petcock fits honda vtx1300c vtx1300r vtx1300s vtx1300t 16950-mem-674
  • brand new petcock replaces honda part# 16950-mem-674, it fits honda vtx1300c vtx1300r vtx1300s vtx1300t
  • package contains: 1 x petcock
  • full refund guarantee if does not fit.
  • order from monday to friday before 3pm. We would try make same day shipping or next day shipping at least. Orders in weekend or holiday would go to monday. Please feel free to contact us if any concern.

twss!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts