Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got fed up with the BS run-around from the insurance company:banghead:, and just went and got my bike from the dealership where it has been collecting dust since my wreck a month ago. I had to pay the shop for the estimate they did and for storage, but they worked with me and cut me a deal.

I had offers of help and a trailer from both bigjojo and TAZ4VTX, so a big thanks to them for the offer. :cheers:

My Brother in law had a tilt trailer that worked out great. I got the bike home and took some pics, and started to put it up on the stand. I start pumping up the jack and get the bike just off the ground and my foot slips off the peddle of the jack and the whole spring and piston came flying out of the jack cylinder:eek:. Luckily the jack held and the bike stayed up. I was able to get the piston back in and the jack worked well enough to get it up enough to get the stand under it.

I managed to get started tearing it apart before the wife got home from work and it got dark. I already have a replacement fender I found on eBay, and bigjojo has an exhaust muffler for me (thanks again Joe). Looks like other than a new rear tire I will probably only need a new inner fender rail and right rear signal and I will be back on the road.:choppersm

So if anyone has a spare RR signal or inner fender rail for an R laying around let me know what you want for it.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get to work on it so you can do some toy runs.

Insurance companies suck in many ways
Yup, I have missed much already. Just couldn't stand it anymore.

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
just got off ebay searched "vtx 1800r" looks like someone is parting out two different r's lots of parts on there used and cheap! I know yours is a 1300 but its the same fender ;)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jstar, please tell me what brand of jack you were using so i dont get it for christmas. I'm glad your bike didnt fall, and you will soon be back on the road.
Safe riding
Bry :patriot:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jstar, please tell me what brand of jack you were using so i dont get it for christmas. I'm glad your bike didnt fall, and you will soon be back on the road.
Safe riding
Bry :patriot:
It was the Harbor Freight 1500# model. Most of the time with Harbor Freight you get what you pay for.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Get to work on it so you can do some toy runs.

Insurance companies suck in many ways
:cheers: Ditto here, along with the stealers, sometimes I think they're in cahoots with each other. Two years ago I had my crash, insurance took care of repairs right away, got bike back from stealer 1-1/2 mos later, only to learn there were two "mysterious" dings in the front of tank that werent caused by the wreck, I say they forgot to secure forks & got the tank dinged, went ahead & rode rest of season, then took it back for re-paint, okayed by ins first, took from Dec1 until mid-March to get it back, within 6mos the crap re-paint they did flaked right off, someone only "touched"it up to get me out of their face & my bike out of their shop. Insurance paid $1200 for that.:banghead: When I told the adjuster about it, she just said as far as she was concerned, the matter was closed & taken care of, p'od me plenty, because it was my money from premiums that paid for the repairs to begin with.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I will have to check but I think I may have a left front housing. The left front and right rear are the same, just the rubber bushing is differant.

Between your jack and Bears wheel chock I have all the reasons to back up my "not from HF" rule.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
It was the Harbor Freight 1500# model. Most of the time with Harbor Freight you get what you pay for.
Sometime that is not even true. I purchased the MAL-2C from motorcyclejacks.com. This is supposed to be and research had indicated this was a quality product. Paid over $150.00 on sale a year or so ago. It seems to be well made and I have been fairly pleased with it's operation but the same dang thing happened to me.

I jacked the "X" up one time and it seemed a little unstable going up and then when I started down I had trouble getting it to release. Finally got it down. Still didn't notice what was causing the unusual behavior.

Then the next time I used the jack I found out. Started up, about the third pump and pop, the jack unit jumped out of it's locking cradle. The set screw (bolt) had stripped and turned loose the base of the jack and it had worked it way out of the guide. The locking arms had dropped into the first locking hole and stopped the jack from letting go completely. Had to get some 2x4's and a couple small plywood pieces to get it braced and then forced the locking bar out of the hole. Pulled the jack out - rethreaded the hole, used a longer bolt with a nut and lock washer. Got the bolt in and tight against the jack base. Then locked it down with the nut. This has been a good fix so far.

Really lucky. Could have been a one vehicle motorcycle accident with no rider. That would have been hard to explain to the insurance company.

Get 'r fixed and get 'r rolling. Good luck ... Sorry don't have anything to contribute to the rebuild.....

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to check but I think I may have a left front housing. The left front and right rear are the same, just the rubber bushing is differant.

Between your jack and Bears wheel chock I have all the reasons to back up my "not from HF" rule.
Thanks. I think the bushing is still ok. I will get it the rest of the way torn apart tomorrow.
I'm not a big fan of HF, but the jack has worked well until now, and the reason the piston let loose was a cotter pin must have come out and let the clevis pin come loose. If the pin wouldn't have come loose it would have been ok.

·
F rider
720 Posts
:cheers: Ditto here, along with the stealers, sometimes I think they're in cahoots with each other. Two years ago I had my crash, insurance took care of repairs right away, got bike back from stealer 1-1/2 mos later, only to learn there were two "mysterious" dings in the front of tank that werent caused by the wreck, I say they forgot to secure forks & got the tank dinged, went ahead & rode rest of season, then took it back for re-paint, okayed by ins first, took from Dec1 until mid-March to get it back, within 6mos the crap re-paint they did flaked right off, someone only "touched"it up to get me out of their face & my bike out of their shop. Insurance paid $1200 for that.:banghead: When I told the adjuster about it, she just said as far as she was concerned, the matter was closed & taken care of, p'od me plenty, because it was my money from premiums that paid for the repairs to begin with.
Man Please tell me you don't use bikeline. Thats who mine is through, and I would hate like hell to have to go ballistic on them!

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Man Please tell me you don't use bikeline. Thats who mine is through, and I would hate like hell to have to go ballistic on them!
Nah, it was Country Mutual, dropped them a week after for 12mos. They wanted me back & I told them same premiums I had before the accident or forget it, they agreed, I'm now back with them,,,,,for now. The agent is a decent guy, it's just their claims dept that sucks. I was glad all my medical was covered though, six broken bones, overnight in the hospital & another six weeks of phys therapy, no out of pocket costs.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got the bike the rest of the way apart this morning and it looks like the inner rail is ok so I won't be needing that. :)

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Well I got the bike the rest of the way apart this morning and it looks like the inner rail is ok so I won't be needing that. :)
I'm glad to hear that the inner is ok, if it was bent up I myself would have been worried the frame could be tweeked to. It sounds like at least you had luck with it only being minor damage, be sure to keep track of every penny you spend along with your time spent on it so you can get paid for your troubles. (even if it takes forever...)

P.S. Even if you get replacement parts for free be sure to add their value to your list, because they sure would.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I can help John let me know and I'll be there. Do you need a jack I'm going yo VA on Weds and can drop it and a PepsX stand off for you.
Thanks Jerry, I have it up on the stand now so I'm ok. I need to see what I can do with my jack, no oil came out but it may have gotten some air in there.

Hey bud, sorry I wasn't here to bring the bike home. I'm glad you got it back home, let me know what else you may need.
That's ok Joe, I'll definitely holler when I need you. I figure You and Kim can come over and we can grill and get into the carb when I'm at that point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts