Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with finding the best place to get 12 Volt power to hook up a power supply that will be on with and off with the key, i.e. switched to protect the battery when not riding and charging.

I have the schematic, but would like to here from someone that has done this. I plan to use the power supply to run a GPS unit and occasionaly charge a cell phone.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
I am not sure exactly how to do it. But, you will likely need to relay and/or a wire that is switched with the ignition. I wish I could be of more assistance, but I am not to keen on electrical stuff. i am intersted in seeing what comes out of this thread though. I am running a GPS that is powered up all the time, unless I turn it off. I too am looking to do what you are looking for.

I know there are several folks out there running this mod.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I have the fuse block mod like the link above, wired so it is triggered with a relay. I have my power point wired to it and keep it tucked away in the neck cover until needed, then I just pull it out and attach it to the handlebars with a velcro cable tie.
The fuse block works great as it gives you a central connection point and keeps the battery terminals uncluttered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just don't get it. I am sure the answer is right in front of me, but can't see through all the good advice to get what I need.
I have a simple positive and ground power plug from walmart.

I want to wire the ground BLACK WIRE ????????????? Where to get constant ground.

I want to wire the Positve RED WIRE ?????????????? Where to have power with the ignition key on and NO power with the ignition key turned off.

I will then plug the gps power cord that is made for a car cigarette lighter into that power outlet to get the 12 Volt.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
The reason most people use a relay is so there is no draw from anything else in the circuit when starting the bike, which is why your headlight is wired to go out when cranking. People add the fuse block to make it cleaner and easier to add other accessories later.
If you want to wire it direct you can connect the black wire straight to the (-) battery terminal. I don't have the wiring schematic right now but you could splice the red wire into a wire for the running lights, or horn. Make sure the red wire has an in-line fuse.

·
Registered
341 Posts
After reading a lot on the fuse block thread this is what I did.
I installed the fuse block in the hot all the time mode.
After that I installed my 12 volt aux plug. I keep mine inside the handle bar bag so it is out of sight.
I worked backwards from the plug. I measured my wire length to allow it to sit just inside the front cowl. I installed a 2 pin plug so I could remove the bag without having to remove the entire wire. I then ran the wire to the fuse block and plugged hot wire into the fused slot of the block and the ground wire to the grounding post.

I was unsure about the fuse block when I first installed it, but after having it for the summer and fall, I really appreciate the design and easy of use.

This link has some pictures of some of the work I did with a quick section on the 12 volt aux plug.
hope it helps

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=49064

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just don't get it. I am sure the answer is right in front of me, but can't see through all the good advice to get what I need.
I have a simple positive and ground power plug from walmart.

I want to wire the ground BLACK WIRE ????????????? Where to get constant ground.

I want to wire the Positve RED WIRE ?????????????? Where to have power with the ignition key on and NO power with the ignition key turned off.

I will then plug the gps power cord that is made for a car cigarette lighter into that power outlet to get the 12 Volt.
Inside the headlight housing is the power connector for the Honda light bar. If you are NOT already using it for a light bar, then there is plenty of power at that connection to run a typical GPS and Cell phone - even both together don't draw as much as those lights would, and it's switched with the key.
If you do NOT have any additional head/driving lights installed, then remove the headlight and look for the Only connector in the housing that doesn't already have something plugged in to it.
I ran my GPS off that connector for 2 years before I finally decided I no longer needed it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
If you happen to have a Battery Tender "pigtail" connector hooked up to your battery, there is a "cigarette outlet plug" sold at O'Reilly's auto parts store that connects directly to your Battery Tender connector; therefore all you have to do is plug in the outlet plug when you want to use your GPS or charge your cell phone and unplug the outlet plug when not in use or when charging your battery. :patriot:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, Im getting closer. Big D/DuaneS above gave me the information to find the Light Bar plug inside the Headlight assembly. DONE. Now I need one last piece of the puzzle. This plug has three wires:

G = Green that I feel is the ground wire.

BU= Blue that I feel is A Hot Wire but: I am only getting 4.7 volts from this wire.

BL/BR = Black with a little Brown line. I am getting 12.4 volts from this wire but the Wireing schematic for this one don't look right to me to be the main hot wire.

My Power plug has red for hot and black for ground, No third wire connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like this idea. Thanks for the heads up.

If you happen to have a Battery Tender "pigtail" connector hooked up to your battery, there is a "cigarette outlet plug" sold at O'Reilly's auto parts store that connects directly to your Battery Tender connector; therefore all you have to do is plug in the outlet plug when you want to use your GPS or charge your cell phone and unplug the outlet plug when not in use or when charging your battery. :patriot:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

The fog light plug in the headlight casing has three wires:

G = Green ground wire.

BU= Blue A Hot Wire but: I am only getting 4.7 volts from this wire.

BL/BR = Black with a little Brown line. I am getting 12.4 volts from this wire but the Wireing schematic for this one don't look right to me to be the main hot wire. Why would there be two hots for a light bar/fog light anyway?

My Power plug from WalMart has red for hot and black for ground, No third wire connection.

I am guessing that if I used the bike frame for the ground or black wire and the BL/BR = Black with a little Brown line as the hot, I might be in business. BUT, Would that intefer with any of the functions of the bikes electrical system like: Cut out of power during starter operation. If I knew why there is two hot wires, one with 4.7 volts and one with 12.4 volts it might make for sense to me.

·
Registered
456 Posts

The fog light plug in the headlight casing has three wires:

G = Green ground wire.

BU= Blue A Hot Wire but: I am only getting 4.7 volts from this wire.

BL/BR = Black with a little Brown line. I am getting 12.4 volts from this wire but the Wireing schematic for this one don't look right to me to be the main hot wire. Why would there be two hots for a light bar/fog light anyway?

My Power plug from WalMart has red for hot and black for ground, No third wire connection.

I am guessing that if I used the bike frame for the ground or black wire and the BL/BR = Black with a little Brown line as the hot, I might be in business. BUT, Would that intefer with any of the functions of the bikes electrical system like: Cut out of power during starter operation. If I knew why there is two hot wires, one with 4.7 volts and one with 12.4 volts it might make for sense to me.
Without taking mine apart again I can't tell you exactly what each of the wires is for.
If you found a good - key-switched - hot lead, I'd use it. Remember that the stock driving lights are 35Watts EACH and there is no possible way your cell phone and GPS are going to pull a combined 70 Watts.
As for a ground connection, it can be tough to get to, but there is an Excellent factory connection where the forward ignition coil is bolted to the frame, Honda uses it to ground several items and I've added several more to mine.

Oh Yeah, almost forgot - the Battery Tender suggestion from Abn1SG is also an excellent idea. I actually bumped the 7.5 amp fuse to 15 amp and use that connection for my SLIME compressor - works great and it's normally a direct connection to the battery so there's plenty of juice there!

Okay - had to get my service manual out --- and according to my service manual the Bl/Br (Black/Brown) lead is HOT directly from a 10A fuse in the fuse box, explains why it's switched. The Bu (Blue) lead comes from the Fog light switch - you won't have one if you don't have the fog (driving) lights. And the G (green) lead is a ground

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This is exactly what I did. I picked up the the cigarette outlet with tender plug off EBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts