Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1300R with a Fairing and Im looking for a combination GPS and Stereo or CD Player. Ive been looking everywhere and cant seem to find anything short of the Tsukayu Philips GPS Stereo with Electronic Shock Protection, Bluetooth®, Radio, DVD. And Im not even sure if I can just buy the GPS/Stereo or if I have to buy the entire setup? Is there anything out there short of going with a standard Car or Truck setup. Ive looked into Marine also for the weather/waterproof factor but with no luck. We all love listening to some tunes while riding, where the hell are all the setups so we can customize our rides? Any help would be appreciated! Grazie

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
CD player on a VTX is pretty much useless...I had a Sony on mine and it skipped so much when the bike was moving that it just wasn't worth screwing with...Ended up running my ipod through the 1/8" front input instead...Then the faceplate on that stereo got so loose that it the stereo kept cutting in and out going down the road..I ended up replacing the Sony with this....

http://www.dualav.com/mobileaudio/xr4115.php

No CD player, but USB, 1/8", and SD card inputs...I have about 5000 songs on a 16gb SD card that I use with this stereo...Been running this for over a year now and have yet to have any problems with it...Not marine grade, but cheap enough that if water does fry it someday, it's not a big deal to buy another one like it..I do have a weather door mounted to the fairing that I close if the bike does get caught out in the rain...And there's been several times that happened, and like I said, still working great!!...

As far as a GPS, I admittedly don't know chit about them...Never used one and doubt I ever will...Rand McNally trucker's atlas is my GPS.....What I've seen from GPS units though is they're a bit bigger than a single DIN stereo though, so fitting it into your current fairing might not be possible...I'll let others more knowledgable get into that further though...

·
Puppy Wrangler
749 Posts
LOTS of marine stereos out. Look into the Jensens. Some really small form factors to go with. As far as GPS (which without Id get lost leaving the bed in the morning) Im mounting my standard Magellan. Ive got a Mephis SHades batwing and theres plenty of room behind and under it to protect my stuff in all but the worst weather. Theres also the option of a GPS with MP3 playback. Garmin is a biggie in that line. Plus it will have bluetooth and free lifetime map updates. Im going to be running a Jensen M30 head unit. This one has RCA inputs as well as a USB input with 4 x 40 watts. Other models have weather channels which could be nice to have on long trips in areas where a storm could sneak up on ya. If youre wanting to fill a single DIN spot in a faring that has radio cutouts already, pick any of the newer models that dont have a CD player. Like Bassdude said, more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, lots of great ideas. Ill keep looking and post if I find anything worth looking into. I think everyone here would like to see more options in this area for our bikes!

·
33,457 Posts
I think everyone here would like to see more options in this area for our bikes!
Nope, not everyone....I don't need or want a GPS...EVER.....Wouldn't use one if it was given to me for free...I've personally witnessed on several occasions those things getting people lost, and passing up roads that we as a group were supposed to turn onto...

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,696 Posts
Don't want GPS I have smartphone. :)

Usually if I'm going somewhere I'll write down turns on piece of paper.
That has got me to three tech sessions. :)

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,421 Posts
I'm a GPS guy...love them.....the Garmin Zumo GPS's are waterproof and you can put an SD card in them and play all the tunes you want........some of them even have xm radio.......I doubt you'll find exactly what you want for a reasonable price!!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,199 Posts
Gps guy here too! Face it, if you don't know where you are going then you probably shouldn't leave the house. Once you are somewhere unfamiliar, they are great for finding gas stations, restaurants, and most recently, an Auto parts store when I blew my shifter seal a few months back. I guess you could always stop and ask for directions.

·
33,457 Posts
80% of the time that Jenny and I head out on a Saturday ride, we have no clue where we're going...We just pick a direction and go and see where we end up...No GPS needed for that....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts