Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my wife and son went to a function so Stinky the wonder dog and I had the evening to ourselves. Stinky and I went into the garage to install the new Silverstar Ultra H4 bulb into the headlight housing of the new VTX. I jumped the gun and while looking for the bezel removal screws (now very obvious to me:hmm2:) I screwed around with the headlight adjusting screws until I heard a "clink". Yup, even Stinky gave me that "you idiot" look.:nono:

The next thing I knew, I had the entire headlight off (oh, yeah, now I see the "right" screws) and commenced to really getting in trouble. I turned a seemingly easy task into a jigsaw puzzle of springs, screws and other parts. Suffice to say that due to my own stupidity,:banghead: my hands charged ahead of my brain and I managed to turn a 10-minute project into two hours of *&^%[email protected] work. I finally figured the whole thing out (even Stinky was pissed at me for cutting into his couch time) and got it all back together. However, now I have to re-adjust the head light.

I did come across the VTX1300 shop manual posted on the forum (after the fact...naturally) and now I have an advantage for my next exploration into VTX land. Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, the bible.
I have that on my system for easy searching but I carry in my saddlebag and prefer to use my Clymer Manual. I always refer to it before starting a task.
Also of fantastic support is this forum. Any time you want to do something, search the forums here. There are a lot of talented people here who can (have) turned complicated tasks into easy, step by step guides.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Deactivated Account
218 Posts
I've done similar things so many times on everything from putting together shelves to installing electronic ignition.

"Constructions?" (not instructions) "I don't need no stinking constructions!"

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you owe Stinky an apology. Biscuits should probably be involved! If at first you don't succeed, try again and resort to reading the map....... Oooops, uhh, I meant directions. Just listen to the dog the first time around, couch time is sacred dude!:nope:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Don't recall where I read it but somebody said a good way to adjust the headlight is to set the beam all the way up and all the way to the left and then go for a ride. Keep stopping to adjust the beam down and right until folks quit flashing their brights and throwing beer cans at ya.

Wren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts