Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:patriot:
Just got home from a trip to south Dakota with a buddy of mine on a Harley. My X did great and had little trouble but I learned a few things:
1.no ethanol "enriched" fuel
2. Following a bike with cruise control can be frustrating passing big rigs.
3. A fairing with stereo would he nice.
4. The Harley Davidson shop in rapid city has great coffee while you wait on repairs to your buddy's Harley.
5. Following your buddy on a Harley in deer infested Wyoming is better than riding in front of your buddy on a Harley (he wasn't hurt but the bike took a beating)
6. Bring warm gloves, brIng gloves warmer than those gloves. Bring a set of warm gloves for when those get wet!

It was an awesome trip! I learned a lot about the bike and how to set it up for next time. I never thought I would want a fairing but suggestions are welcome as well as crash bars and floor boards.

My bike averaged 35 mpg, with only an air box mod, which I thought was low but that just seems to be what it gets on highway or street and the one mistake of using the ethanol made it act like it was running out of gas but after a stall and sit for a minute it fired back up and kept going until I could put in premium several times and run it out.

Thanks to all for the blog and ride safe!
:cheers:

· Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
I got a Memphis shades fairing (no integrated radio option) but had I had the extra cash, I would have gotten a Woody's fairing with radio option. No actual experience with it though...

· Registered
454 Posts
Just took a trip on my 07 1800T. The bike is really pretty well set up for touring. I did add Hondaline lowers to alleviate the wind buffeting. Otherwise the bike is great on the highway. I do have my full face helmet wired for music so don't need faring with radio.

Know what you mean about riding in S. Dakota. Weather can change dramatically this time of year. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Too bad about your friends problems.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike was great on the highway, some lower deflectors are a good idea too. When it was warm I didn't mind the wind but the rain could have gone around me and I was thankful for my windshield! We went through every condition but snow it seemed but what incredible scenery!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.