Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of holding the tank while my buddy made the connections. He jammed them in backwards and now I have no lights going to my turn signal on the console as well the background to the speedometer.

I've done some research on the site and can't find a definite "best solution" Definitely not into soldering. Will this work?

https://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-connectors.asp?type=industrial&series=dt&contacts=8

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
connectors... your choice... try local hardware store.... but check all your fuses.. if you powered up the bike... you may have blown fuses..

and IF any of the wires are HOT without the key on.. again blown fuses.

but Soldering is best... your bike, your choice. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually rode it to Montana and back as it is. Its more of a nuisance than anything. I am looking at putting in the BOSS MC400 speakers in so I figure if I am going to monkey around I might as well fix it.

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,813 Posts
Reactions: Ralph-San

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,813 Posts
Broke the tabs on both green connectors as well, but they hold together. The wiring is just long enough that I put them up in the neck cover, out of the breeze :mosh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick response! Those green connects look just alike. I don't understand how the wire crimps in there… Does it require that 40 dollar tool? What is the process called… I'd like to youtube it.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You most likely pushed some of the pins back into the plug. Just push them back into the plug, you will have to look at them very close even with a magnifining glass to fine the one pushed in , look carefully at them.
The connectors are diferent and can't be mixed up. You have to make sure they are pushed in all the way but don't force them.
Look at them very closely . If you brake the tsbs just zip tie threw the wires on each plug.
All dash info goes threw those plugs .
Donut/Doug

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
And next time you have to remove the tank just remove the speedo assembly (three bottom screws), lay a towel over the bars, and lay the speedo assy. on the towel and you won't have to unhook the connectors.
I too do the above....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this thread is old but shout out to sumdatx. I totally broke that green connector, and needed another. It's currently being held together by shrink tubing but that's not really a good solution. The link is still good and the part is on the way!

There's a good PDF on how to work with AMP connectors here:

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts