Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I know there have been some posts on the "Green Wire" issue.
I had a friend solder a splice in for me about a year ago, when the bike quit on me.
Today on my way home from work my X started spitting and sputtering and backfiring (FIRE). Cars were staying back away from me, and I could not go any faster than 1st gear. Luckily it happened about a mile and a half from the house and I limped it home.
I found the green wire broken right where it connects into the ICM.
I'm not sure it can be soldered, because there is very little sticking out of the ICM. It is broken off very close.

Can anyone tell me how the wire is attached into the ICM?

Thanks for any ideas!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
You can remove the connector from the module- then remove the pin from the connector. Usually requires something removing a locking device and very small or a special terminal tool to push the pin from the connector. At that point you will need a new pin and a section of the proper size wire to crimp to the pin. Then just snap the pin back into place in the proper direction in the connector. I know- I'm making it sound easy because I have had to repair numerous connectors and wiring harneses over the past 23 years in the automotive business. It can be fixed- this is the proper way to fix it when you don't have enough wire to work with. Then you should solder and heat shrink the wire for a complete repair.
Many of the pins in a terminal repair kit at a Honda car dealer's service department are probably the same size as many of the pins in your motorcycle connectors. That may be somewhere to start looking for a replacement pin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Simpleman 44,

I will investigate that a little more. It does sound do-able.
Thank you for all that good info!!

I did do some checking this evening on my paperwork from the dealer and I did find that I have 6 more months on my extended warranty.
I read on another post that this is covered... and in some cases they will change out the entire harness and pack the new one and ICM in foam to lessen the vibration on these fragile wires.
I will call them in the morning to see if they are going to honor this.

Thanks again, and I will write back to let everyone know if the dealer is going to take responsibility on the warranty for this.

Don

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
Nuclear Option....

The other option is replacing the entire harness if you cant find a pin,,, that harness is under 200 bucks at bike bandit, or HDL...

·
Registered
21 Posts
wireing harness

Mine did the same thing i had a harness from a copier of all things had the same connector in it lol . and it worked perfect .

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Radio Shack has a pin extractor to remove the pin and then you can solder an short piece of wire to it and shove it back in and then solder it to the existing wire and shrunk tube the connection. I haven't done this yet but I have heard of others doing that.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys,
I shoved a safety pin in the wire harness where the small stub of green came out. I put a jumper from the safety pin to the other part of the green wire.
I did a good tape job, and rode it 20 miles to the dealer this afternoon.

DFW Honda told me that they think it could be covered in my extended warranty, but they have to contact Honda tomorrow to see if they will cover it or not. I will not lay down and roll over for them on this!!!

I will let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Don

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Thanks Guys,
I shoved a safety pin in the wire harness where the small stub of green came out. I put a jumper from the safety pin to the other part of the green wire.
I did a good tape job, and rode it 20 miles to the dealer this afternoon.

DFW Honda told me that they think it could be covered in my extended warranty, but they have to contact Honda tomorrow to see if they will cover it or not. I will not lay down and roll over for them on this!!!

I will let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks for all the advice!!
Don
Keep us informed.
PS; I carry two safety pins and a small jumper wire on my bike all the time.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good News!
I just talked to the people at DFW Honda. They have my bike fixed and ready to pick up. They told me that they did pull the pin out and re-attach a new wire with it, up in the harness and cleaned up the previous repair on the other end.
The man I talked with said that Honda is not having problems with this issue, and that there has been no known problem with this little green wire.

There seem to be plenty of known problems with it here on this forum.....but DFW did take care of it at no charge to me, so whatever the politics are, they did right by me!!
I know lots of people have had many issues with their dealers, but I have to say that so far DFW have been a good bunch to deal with.
I guess I can't ask for more from a dealership....just glad they got me fixed up.
I'm just ready to ride!!! :choppersm

Thanks again for all the advise. Guys!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Glad everything worked out so well. There has been so may problems that Honda has to know about the problem but there will never be any type of a recall. There has been a ton of people that has had trouble with the wires and I have helped a lot of Xer's on three boards so I know the problem exist and that is why we are here to help each other.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
Liberal Peace-Lover
1,064 Posts
Surprised you got free work out of DFW Honda, but glad to hear it worked out. I take my ol' girl up to Cycle Center of Denton for service because, for some reason, DFW Honda rubs me the wrong way. Could be the whole $70 to seat a tire bead thing...

Different topic- check out this thread, and come out for the PGR ride if you can.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My little trick to combat that issue is Shoo-Goo. It's a silicone that holds up to heat reasonably well.

I just coat the ECU plug where the wires go in and extend the Shoogoo out a bit. It dampens the vibrations and re-inforces the wires at the plug when you have to get at the battery.

Haven't had a single wire issue on I-don't-know-how-many bikes.

Wren

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have untwisted the loom that goes to the ECU to give it more slack.
When I first got the bike I noticed that the harness a couple of turns too many and the green & black wire were tight... I then zipped tied the ECU to the battery cover so that it can not move... 20K miles and no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts