Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2007 Honda VTX 1300S with only 2100 miles on it. I call her BIg Blue, as it is the biggest bike I have ever owned. Actually bought it for my son, who wanted something bigger than the CTX that we like so well.

Think I got a great deal, until I ran into a problem early into the 3rd ride (very very short ride due to the problem). I posted in the Forums after searching for an answer but didn't find anything that exactly matched what I have.

Still think I got a great deal. Just going to have to accomplish some work on the bike.

I owned way back in the early 90s a Kawasaki GS1100 with fairings and luggage. Rode it one season then sold it to my brother (that's another story, btw).

Bought a 1994 Honda CBR 600F in 2009/2010 during my second divorce, rode it for a year or so, sold it to my nephew, who totaled it within a week and never paid me for it. I ws remarried at that time, and the wife didn't like to ride, which is why I sold it.

Fast forward to 2022, divorced again, and now own several bikes for myself and my two youngest sons (18 & 20). 2014 Honda CTX700, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (which we will sell as it is too tall in the saddle for the 18-year-old), 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD (for that same 18-year-old, fits him much better), 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 600R (my nearly-daily rider), and the 2007 VTX 1300S, for my 20-year-old to enjoy (when it runs correctly).

I HOPE I don't need to use the forum too frequently for Big Blue!

PS: I'm not a mechanic or anything, but my father and brother were mechanics for a living, and I managed my brother's tire and auto shop for 14 years, so I know enough to be dangerous. With good instructions, I can accomplish many smaller maintenance items and repairs, I believe.

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. For those who may have missed your other thread with your problem, could you repeat it?

·
Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 S
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. For those who may have missed your other thread with your problem, could you repeat it?
PaXman 11,

When I purchased the bike a few weeks ago, the owner said the fuel petcock leaked if set on reserve, so just leave it on. We did that. No problem. Bike started to take his license plate back to him, rode and ran well like the day I drove it home. A few days later, started to ride the bike and less than 3 miles into the ride, it acted like it was out of fuel, and looking in the tank seemed to indicate that this was the case. So we placed the petcock on reserve, but the bike would not start. We acquired more fuel, put it in the bike, still set on reserve, and managed to get the bike started, but fuel was pouring off the bottom of the engine. It was dark, so we could not investigate. Switched petcock back to ON position. Got the bike started after some effort, drove it home, died at our driveway, did not run. Would not start.

Update: Replaced fuel petcock yesterday, all went well, but bike would STILL not start. No fuel poured out from engine. Set on ON and RESERVE, no difference. Smell of fuel in the air, so I believe bike is flooding. Shut off fuel, tried to start it a bit, ran the battery down. Took battery to be charged. Tried it again, finally got bike running with petcock in ON position, seemed OK for the time being, shut it off. Cleaned up. Tried to start it again, no go. Would not start like before. Shut off petcock, tried starting to clear flooding, barely a spark/fire intermittently, would not stay running. Stopped before I ran the battery down again until it won't turn over the bike again. And now it sits again.

The carburetor was rebuilt and cleaned only 9 months ago by previous owner. Seems unlikely it is a carb problem, yet it appears to be?

I was unable to remove air intake box, as one of those bolts is rounded off (just another tick on the woe-is-me box). I had thought I would inspect vacuum lines. Bike will now need to go to repair facility. With only a Ford SUV to rent a trailer from UHaul, I now have to find someone from which to borrow a truck with a 2" ball. Another "woe-is-me" moment.

I look forward to having the bike running again, but these seem to be common problem with these Hondas?

Mike

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
PaXman 11,

When I purchased the bike a few weeks ago, the owner said the fuel petcock leaked if set on reserve, so just leave it on. We did that. No problem. Bike started to take his license plate back to him, rode and ran well like the day I drove it home. A few days later, started to ride the bike and less than 3 miles into the ride, it acted like it was out of fuel, and looking in the tank seemed to indicate that this was the case. So we placed the petcock on reserve, but the bike would not start. We acquired more fuel, put it in the bike, still set on reserve, and managed to get the bike started, but fuel was pouring off the bottom of the engine. It was dark, so we could not investigate. Switched petcock back to ON position. Got the bike started after some effort, drove it home, died at our driveway, did not run. Would not start.

Update: Replaced fuel petcock yesterday, all went well, but bike would STILL not start. No fuel poured out from engine. Set on ON and RESERVE, no difference. Smell of fuel in the air, so I believe bike is flooding. Shut off fuel, tried to start it a bit, ran the battery down. Took battery to be charged. Tried it again, finally got bike running with petcock in ON position, seemed OK for the time being, shut it off. Cleaned up. Tried to start it again, no go. Would not start like before. Shut off petcock, tried starting to clear flooding, barely a spark/fire intermittently, would not stay running. Stopped before I ran the battery down again until it won't turn over the bike again. And now it sits again.

The carburetor was rebuilt and cleaned only 9 months ago by previous owner. Seems unlikely it is a carb problem, yet it appears to be?

I was unable to remove air intake box, as one of those bolts is rounded off (just another tick on the woe-is-me box). I had thought I would inspect vacuum lines. Bike will now need to go to repair facility. With only a Ford SUV to rent a trailer from UHaul, I now have to find someone from which to borrow a truck with a 2" ball. Another "woe-is-me" moment.

I look forward to having the bike running again, but these seem to be common problem with these Hondas?

Mike
I can't help with your carb-petcock problem, as I have an FI with my 1800. But.....your airbox cover is very common. The bolts screw into a nut that is recessed or formed into the plastic of the back part of the airbox, and they break out of the plastic because of over-tightening and brittleness of aged plastic. you will have to force the cover off around that particular bolt, then using search, or if someone chimes in, about how to fix the "stripped" cover bolt. I used a thinner hose clamp around the broken-out part to hold it together, and it's worked for a number of years now, but I don't have to remove or replace my cover as often as carb guys do. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts