Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about the Gremlin Bell, saw a post about were to hang it on your bike and did a search. Just curious how many have one and your thoughts on them? I don't have a bell but before a long trip last year my sister gave me a guardian angel pin that was my mother's that I wore on the pocket of my shirts. I didn't know it at the time but she also snuck one into my sissy bar pad.(I found out later and left it there for good luck) anyway just wanted to hear what others think of the Gremlin Bell.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
422 Posts
I have had one on all of my bikes. It's one of those things that come along with a new bike, my wife gets me a bell for it (she is more superstitious than me).

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I have had one on all of my bikes. It's one of those things that come along with a new bike, my wife gets me a bell for it (she is more superstitious than me).

Ride Safe!
As per the legend, it doesn't quite work as well if the bike comes with one. Loses its Mojo. It must be given by someone, not bought as an extra. Good luck.

·
FREEBIRD
8,056 Posts
Yep, that's a thing. It has to be gifted to you.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
422 Posts
As per the legend, it doesn't quite work as well if the bike comes with one. Loses its Mojo. It must be given by someone, not bought as an extra. Good luck.
I need to clarify, they haven't came on the bikes, my wife always gets me anew one with each bike. As you said, it has to be given by someone. She is that someone for me.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I received mine as a reminder of "passed on' riders... and one brass coin with my mothers name.

51 years of riding, I know many fallen riders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's a fun story to tell if you have one and some body asks about it. I am usually given one with a new bike. I'm still waiting for one for my Big X. I've never owned anything like it. I do like it's American built and I like Hondas general reliability. I've left this bike pretty much stock. Added new bulbs (standard) A six flashing LED tail light and and additional set of independent brake lights down at the license plate bracket so that it does not interfere with any of the rest of the lighting system. Did the pair valve fix and K&N air filter as on all my machines. It has it's own sound and is the best handling most road worthy bike I've owned, and I had a Triumph 1700 Thunderbird that I traded for it straight up. The Triumph a 2010 was 104 ci. and loaded with all the factory extras. The X is an "07 with under 19,000 mi. The Honda fits me better has less maintenance that I can do myself and handles solid as a rock and is so smooth I have to watch the speed to not get any tickets.

Here's what I've learned from the café and forums. Every new rider has issues with the rear turn signals, which are just that, turn signals. back in the teens H-D took several models and did away with the tail light and made the rear signals run/turn/brake. That's a H-D thing. Honda does it a Honda way. A tail light and separate turn signals. If you leave them alone and don't put LED bulbs in them they will work perfectly fine for years. I run Sylvania ultra brites. No problems everything matches the stock configurations. I say if it ain't broke , don't fix it. Every time I've changed one thing I would have to change something else because I had changed the stock configuration. Kuryakyn "used" to make a run/brake/turn kit for the VTX along with a plug and play wiring harness and red tail light covers. They don't any more. Our problem is we are buying new to us motorcycles that have been out of production since 2008 for the 1800. The 1300 is still in the Fury but nothing fits the 1800. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that our new bikes are Honda's not H-D's. They'll take 100,000 plus in mileage and keep running strong. Just remember it's a Honda if you want it to sound like an H-D, idle like an H-D, look like an H-D. For goodness sake buy an H-D. I had a '99 Softail that had 100,000 documented miles. I had to rebuild it two, three times to get that and it traded in at a good value. This time I'm staying with a bike made the way it was meant to be. It is good to learn the little tricks and fixes that keep the motor happy. VTX 1800T. That means V-Twin eXtreme Tourer. There are/ were bigger bikes with more cc's and horsepower but from 0-60 and in the 1/4 the VTX1800 beats them all. Ride Hard, Ride Free, above all Ride Safe. Oh, yeah, don't forget to ring that bell. LOL.
Bo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hubby and I both have VTX's... his is an 1800T, mine a 1300R. Each time we get a new bike, we buy a bell for each other. It must be given or it has no 'good luck' in it. Happy riding!

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Glad to see the bells still being gifted!!!! Every bell I’ve gotten has been very special to me and I wouldn’t ride without it!!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My hero when I was little was Evel Knevil, he always had a rabbits foot on the zipper on his leathers. Since I was a boy I have never rode a motorcycle without a rabbits foot. I have been in a few crashes over the years but I'm still riding ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's a fun story to tell if you have one and some body asks about it. I am usually given one with a new bike. I'm still waiting for one for my Big X. I've never owned anything like it. I do like it's American built and I like Hondas general reliability. I've left this bike pretty much stock. Added new bulbs (standard) A six flashing LED tail light and and additional set of independent brake lights down at the license plate bracket so that it does not interfere with any of the rest of the lighting system. Did the pair valve fix and K&N air filter as on all my machines. It has it's own sound and is the best handling most road worthy bike I've owned, and I had a Triumph 1700 Thunderbird that I traded for it straight up. The Triumph a 2010 was 104 ci. and loaded with all the factory extras. The X is an "07 with under 19,000 mi. The Honda fits me better has less maintenance that I can do myself and handles solid as a rock and is so smooth I have to watch the speed to not get any tickets.

Here's what I've learned from the café and forums. Every new rider has issues with the rear turn signals, which are just that, turn signals. back in the teens H-D took several models and did away with the tail light and made the rear signals run/turn/brake. That's a H-D thing. Honda does it a Honda way. A tail light and separate turn signals. If you leave them alone and don't put LED bulbs in them they will work perfectly fine for years. I run Sylvania ultra brites. No problems everything matches the stock configurations. I say if it ain't broke , don't fix it. Every time I've changed one thing I would have to change something else because I had changed the stock configuration. Kuryakyn "used" to make a run/brake/turn kit for the VTX along with a plug and play wiring harness and red tail light covers. They don't any more. Our problem is we are buying new to us motorcycles that have been out of production since 2008 for the 1800. The 1300 is still in the Fury but nothing fits the 1800. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that our new bikes are Honda's not H-D's. They'll take 100,000 plus in mileage and keep running strong. Just remember it's a Honda if you want it to sound like an H-D, idle like an H-D, look like an H-D. For goodness sake buy an H-D. I had a '99 Softail that had 100,000 documented miles. I had to rebuild it two, three times to get that and it traded in at a good value. This time I'm staying with a bike made the way it was meant to be. It is good to learn the little tricks and fixes that keep the motor happy. VTX 1800T. That means V-Twin eXtreme Tourer. There are/ were bigger bikes with more cc's and horsepower but from 0-60 and in the 1/4 the VTX1800 beats them all. Ride Hard, Ride Free, above all Ride Safe. Oh, yeah, don't forget to ring that bell. LOL.
Bo.
I have a 2002 1800s with 119.000 miles and a 2003 1800r with less than 9000 miles my father was a factory racer for H-D in the the late 40's I have owned 20 motorcycles, never owned a H-D. My dad is rolling over in his grave, Dad always said " If you want to ride a H-D you better learn how to work on them" I would have more VTX's if I have room for them. These !800s will out run most Stock H-D's and at over 700LBs very stable at highway speeds. When the 1800 get to heavy to bush around in the garage, I will have to find a 1300. Keep the shinny side up scott

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Got my own Gremlin Bell mounted tonight, thank you Shane!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts