Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I need a little advice. My 2002 VTX 1800 hasn't had any updates and it has 78,000 miles, bot too bad I guess. Anyway when I picked her up she had been road hard and put up wet. The previous owner laid it down a few times he dropped it a few times and just really beat it up. Caved in the entire left side of the tank I mean just abused it. Well I fixed her up and got her back in shape fix the tank and so on. She ran like a scalded dog. Soon after I started having that surging problem so I replaced the fpr. It helped a little but still breaks up at all ranges and continues to surge. I found the ground fix and meticulously went through every connection put Pookie on everything and successfully completed it. It helped significantly but still it's breaking up as well as surging and the only thing I haven't done to her is replace the plugs. I don't think that's the problem she still breaks up a little bit here and there and continues to surge. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. One thought that comes to mind is a bad fpr? Im sure anything is possible but is that a common occurance? Getting a bad replacement fpr any idea? Thank you all in advance for any help. Stay safe.

John

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,698 Posts
Plugs are cheap. Check the plugs. If fpr was bad dumping fuel into engine they could be fouled.

Does it have one of those add on fuel controllers on it? Those have been known to cause issues if they have loose connections.

·
Super Moderator
10,308 Posts
Does it have an aftermarket air intake like a cone or hypercharger? These have been known to cause problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plugs are cheap. Check the plugs. If fpr was bad dumping fuel into engine they could be fouled.

Does it have one of those add on fuel controllers on it? Those have been known to cause issues if they have loose connections.
It does I'll try to disconnect it and check the plugs thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.
Does it have an aftermarket air intake like a cone or hypercharger? These have been known to cause problems.
No its a stock air cleaner but I was considering putting a hyper charger on it. Sounds like thats a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
10,308 Posts
Yeah, a hypercharger is just for show and sometimes causes problems. I recommend against it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just spent the last three hours on the side of the road, disconnected the power commander and it ran worse so I reconnected it and i barely made it home. Breaking up backfiring blew the air cleaner cover clean off the bike. Haven't made it to the parts house for new plugs being this bike is my only wheels to get around. I'm out of idea's at this point. Thank you all for the input it really is appreciated. I've never met a group of total strangers that are so eager to go out of their way to help each other. If only the the rest of the world owned motorcycles......a better place it would be in deed.....
Ride Safe,

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,698 Posts
It's usually not that the power commander itself is bad but over time wiring is damaged either factory where connections are made or the PC wiring.
Poor connections cause problems.

Definitely pull plugs and give them a look.
Guessing they black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I guess I deserve this for bying the cheapest priced part but it taught me a valuable lesson. Turns out it wasnt the ground fix that has been causing my problem. Right when the symptoms started followed my replacing my FPR valve with a cheap $11.00 replacement eff of Ebay. After painstakingl going through every connection on this bike and pulling out what hair I have left it dawned on me that it was possible that the FPR valve I replaced wasn't any good. Well I stopped by a friends place who has a wrecking company and noticed honda puts the same FPR valve on their vehicles. I unbolted one of of an older honda accord and replaced the "new one" I bought and it runs like a raped ape. I guess I'm glad I did the ground fix and got it out if the way but wish I figure it out on the first round of pooking every electrical connecting on the first round instead of going through it four times before I realized it was the bad FPR. Lesson learned buy a factor honda replacement and spend the money it's worth it.
I really want to thank everyone for their advice what a great group to be affiliated with. Ya'll are the best of the best and I appreciate every last one of you thank you.

John

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,698 Posts
I'd be concerned that car would have different fuel pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be concerned that car would have different fuel pressure.
It crossed my mind but being identical I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make it all the way to my destination and it did. Unfortunately the parts car it came off of has been sitting for about 10 years so it ran great for a few hours and I guess it gave out and its acting up again. Now I go buy a new one and be done with it.🤞

1 - 10 of 10 Posts