Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in Ga. helping my mom straighten things out around the house (post funeral stuff). My dad had a Winchester model 1200? pump shotgun that he kept in the living room. I've been around everything except shotguns. Don't know squat about them. I did manage to eject 4 shells from it but after ejecting the last one the pump seems to be locked in place. I know there's no more in the tube but can I be sure there's not one in the chamber? Maybe someone can gimme a shotgun 101 mini course.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Right at the back base of the trigger gaurd there should be a small "tang"or "button" that will release the bolt when in the cocked position. Press up then while holding this up return the forstock to the rear opening the chamber. Hope that help ya.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Yep what he said. Short of taking it off safe and pulling the trigger, that little "button" is how you get one out of the chamber.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Glad you asked and I could help. Now if you would do me a big favor. Open the bolt and place a large nylon wire tie around the frame going through the "lower port" and the "side port". This will keep any more rounds from being chambard in the weapon until anyone with access to it knows what there doing and how to safely handle it. In an emergency the bolt can be slammed shut sherring the tie but in normal handling it will keep the bolt open.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
:)

Safety first! Always!

·
Old Rider, newer VTX
185 Posts
Great advice. Good weapon. Actually, it's my "weapon of choice". Nothing tightens a sphincter like hearing a Browning pump action in the dark!!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Glad you asked and I could help. Now if you would do me a big favor. Open the bolt and place a large nylon wire tie around the frame going through the "lower port" and the "side port". This will keep any more rounds from being chambard in the weapon until anyone with access to it knows what there doing and how to safely handle it. In an emergency the bolt can be slammed shut sherring the tie but in normal handling it will keep the bolt open.
GREAT ADVICE!!!! Good looking out,bro! Better safe than sorry. :patriot:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was raised on a compitition firing line from the time I was 5. Dad was a Army National competition shooter (only the best of the best in the army) and then compeated after leaving the service. He even made the cover of American rifleman in the early '60s. So weapons have been my life , but I am not an expert I just try to know as much as possable to be safe. My faves are the .44 redhawk and the mossburg 590.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I was raised on a compitition firing line from the time I was 5. Dad was a Army National competition shooter (only the best of the best in the army) and then compeated after leaving the service. He even made the cover of American rifleman in the early '60s. So weapons have been my life , but I am not an expert I just try to know as much as possable to be safe. My faves are the .44 redhawk and the mossburg 590.
I like your attitude.

I am leary...well, scared actually, of anyone who lays claim to being an expert...especially with firearms. I have been around them since I was a kid, and fired my first .22 at Boy Scout Summer Camp in PA in 1968. I have fired alot of guns, and while I am experienced, I also know enough to know I am no expert. People who claim to be "experts" frequently make major mistakes out of over-confidence in their abilities.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I will say this on the subject. The round size is what is important, a 9mm is too small and too fast (1250+ fps) to be of any use. The 44 mag is going to keep anything it hits on the ground (840 fps), BUT if you end up in court its too big. That being said, a 45 acp is ecepted by the courts for protection, and the 40cal. is good as well. With the 45 acp anything that gets up will not make it very far unless it is on some real strong drugs, thats why it was the millitary side arm weapon.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I do have one question since this is a gun thread. What is a good handgun for CC and house protection? I was thinkin a smaller glock but unsure of caliber...
They'll all do damage, regardless of caliber.
I carry a .32 ACP (Browning) for "protection", but mostly use it to scare the deer out of the brush for some on the run action with the rifle, and shootin' them wraskly wabbits for some good stew!
I'm sure many more will tell you to go with something else, but I like/love the compactness and easy carrying.

·
F rider
720 Posts
I will say this on the subject. The round size is what is important, a 9mm is too small and too fast (1250+ fps) to be of any use. The 44 mag is going to keep anything it hits on the ground (840 fps), BUT if you end up in court its too big. That being said, a 45 acp is ecepted by the courts for protection, and the 40cal. is good as well. With the 45 acp anything that gets up will not make it very far unless it is on some real strong drugs, thats why it was the millitary side arm weapon.
Wait, wait, wait. If some azzhat breaks into my house armed, threatening my family, are you telling me now according to the courts I have to worry about what caliber gun I shoot the sob with? What kind of BS is that? I will tell ya right now, for home protection o got a 12 ha with 00 buck! Guess I won't have a chance in court.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm saying it gets real ugly if you use a 44 mag to get the job done. The fealing in courts (jurys) is you intended to kill not to defend. My personal fealing is your dam right I ment to kill the SOB. Hollow points is a sticky point too but thats all you will find out at my place. Another one is reloads " you made a killing round" yep shure did and it works well. But thats just me. Haven't you seen all the reports about gun manufacturers being sued for there products being dangerus and killing people? :banghead:

·
F rider
720 Posts
Yea I kinda figure that's like sueing Chevrolet because my crew cab silverado was to big and squished the other guys KIA when HE pulls out in front of me. Guess when the guy breaks into your house its best to just hide the body and leave the courts out of it! :p

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts