Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if I can gut a gas cap? Or is it possible to take 2 gas caps and swap the chrome covers? I would like to either swap the lock cylinder or the chrome covers.

If you want a little background info, here's a link to a previous thread of mine that will explain: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=49776

·
Senior Member - 99%er
650 Posts
You just need to take it to a locksmith and find out. I originally bought a new cap and key because of the issue you had. My idea was to hang the new cap key on a longish strap or loop, and leave in my pocket. When I gas up, I would hang the cap from my bars. Also I thought that if anyone ever got my main keys or left them in, no one could get far because they would run out of gas with no way to put more it. So maybe you just want to keep the new cap as is. Just an idea.:hmm2:

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you always remember to bring the gas cap key with you it´s a great idea. If you forget... well... you´re gonna find out soon enough ... :choppersm

·
Auto/Motorcycle Locksmith
31 Posts
I can't find the gas cap hinge anywhere for sale. I've tried to contact the sellers that had the item on eBay. They just don't respond
If you're talking about the slightly blemished ones they had on there for under $60, it wouldn't do any good to ask them about them now as I bought the last one on Monday and just finished installing it on my bike. Don't even see any blemishes on it. It was a GREAT deal.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
You just need to take it to a locksmith and find out. I originally bought a new cap and key because of the issue you had. My idea was to hang the new cap key on a longish strap or loop, and leave in my pocket. When I gas up, I would hang the cap from my bars. Also I thought that if anyone ever got my main keys or left them in, no one could get far because they would run out of gas with no way to put more it. So maybe you just want to keep the new cap as is. Just an idea.:hmm2:
That's an interesting idea until YOU are the one that forgets the key and runs out of gas. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts