Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st major write up, but very proud of the results.

This goes out to Baker6x6 for buggin me on my mixed color lighting.
The big issue we all have when converting an existing halogen light to LED is FOCAL point of the new LED. If its not right where the normal filament is, the shone light will be dim, scattered and just not project well. Baker6x6 and CBB had tried quite a few aftermarket bulbs but nothing really worked well. I really love the classic look of the light bars with the 4.25 rounds. I have a National Cycle Light bar N944 I will be converting.
Alas, function still over form, safety 1st and all. It was hard to chuck out the cash for these but I have found no better that actually fit (profile is very important) and perform as well (OMG) 1440lm!!
2015 New 4 1/2" Round Chrome PMMA Clear Lens CREE LED Auxiliary Spot Always SMILE (I support PoW/MIA):mosh:

They came pretty fast about 8 days from order time, not bad from overseas.

Whoo Boxes!!! We all love boxes.
Opened them up

Packaged well, all looks good.

Eww SHINEY!!!!

Whats with all this wire, This has got to go.

Snip Clip Strip!

There Much Better.

Lets Open it up and see what we have to work with. If you have changed a bulb, you can do this.

Pay attention to the Notch at top, alignment is important. It might need minor bending. You can see the clips holding the reflector in. Find the one that has curls at the end, ie Grabber points. It comes out 1st.

1 is curled tips, 2 are not...the curled one can be coaxed out, and then the others will slide around and allow easier removal.
Install is well duh.. reverse.

All aligned, snapped in place and snug.

Test Fit and light, its tight, no extra room, but it does fit. Remember to get your visors in-place before the last clip.
Nice color change and you can see it matches up with my HID.

Time for the otherside. Rinse and repeat.

Its dark 30 so out for a test ride and check cut-off/alignment.:bleh:

Ohhh so lovely.:swoon:
I need to get some outside pictures still.

Thank you for following along,
Party on Wayne, Party on Garth.

·
Deplorable member
7,385 Posts
They look great! Nobody will be able to say they didn't see you coming, that's for sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look great! Nobody will be able to say they didn't see you coming, that's for sure.
Thank you, it took quite a few hours, measuring, making mock ups of what I found online to find these that would fit the cup correctly. All the others I found tend to be more of a TunaCan profile and not rounded/cone off as quickly as this companies did.

Ride Safe, Be Seen.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here is a shot of them on against the garage...they certainly are not straight 15% spots but they appear to be flat 35-40% fans pattern. 30W Cree each side with focusing lenses to make them wide flat beams.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Well here is a shot of them on against the garage...they certainly are not straight 15% spots but they appear to be flat 35-40% fans pattern. 30W Cree each side with focusing lenses to make them wide flat beams.
That looks like it's putting the light where it needs to be... My LED bulbs in the Hondaline housings seem to really scatter the light up close. Really lights up the sides of the road and in front of the bike about 30' but I'd like them to have a bit more "reach"... say 50-75'. These look like the throw is longer and more focused.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Nice job

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll come up to the shop next week and we can do a proper measure, cut out the HID to get just the sides.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought mine here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272186373445?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the Cobra light bar setup with the same retaining clips as pictured above. Lights were a perfect fit, and they are worth the money!
I think the cobra buckets are deeper than the National Cycle ones. Mine are REALLY shallow, there is no room behind the heatsink.
Glad yours are working out as well. I really do like the pattern/throw of light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts