Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so........I got up early and went down to the boat..the guy who normally sails with me couldnt make it.....I had spoken with a couple of others who showed up.....we had a skipper's meeting at 9 and left at 9:30. we have a lift bridge so we have to go by its schedule...it will go up every 30 minutes, on demand. the race started at 10:10...that gives everyone time to go out, set the sails, and practice the start........we start between two fixed buoys inside the break wall and then go to a predetermined course. fortunately, it was light air so my boat screamed! I beat the next boat by around 20 minutes.....even with corrected time, I kicked some serious a$$!!! very nice!!!! I love the way that boat sails!!

then, after the race, i cleaned up....and got on the bike, which I filled up on the way to the boat, and headed south to meet up with some guys from the blue knights for a ride...we went to west Pensylvania thru farm land, old towns, some nicely windy roads.........stopped for lunch and continued.......when we stopped for gas, I put 3.1 gallons in my bike, with 140 miles on the odometer! that's 45 mpg! very nice...cause I have been pushing the bike a bit lately and have been just about getting 40mpg........anyway, the weather was great, warm and sunny, and the ride was great! we did over 150 miles!! and my odometer went over 38000 miles!

so, I had a great day, yesterday...just thought I'd share!!:mosh:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Good for you Jeff that sounds like a perfect day to me...
I'm not sure how it could get much better than wining a race with the boat & then having a nice ride all in one day.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Sounds like the weather was good in a few places yesterday and a few of us were able to enjoy it....Boats and Bikes kinda gives a whole new meaning to the "B&B" for the weekend...:cheers:

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
Jeff getting to enjoy your two favorite things how cool is that. Good for YOU!!! may there be many more days like today for you!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I share in your fun. I crew on two boats: race out of Port Dover on Mondays on a CS33 and Tuesdays out of Fifty Point (Stoney Creek) on a Kirby 30. In both cases I ride my bike down (about 50 minute rides each way) so I get to do two of my favourite things each night.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I share in your fun. I crew on two boats: race out of Port Dover on Mondays on a CS33 and Tuesdays out of Fifty Point (Stoney Creek) on a Kirby 30. In both cases I ride my bike down (about 50 minute rides each way) so I get to do two of my favourite things each night.

how close are you to Port Stanley? I will be there July 4th weekend!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Very nice Jeff!!! Hope you get to have many, many more days like that!!! Still hoping to be able to make time to go for a pleasure cruise on your rig!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
sounds like a nice day. i know what you mean about the gas mileage. changed oil on saturday, sunday we went for a ride to have breakfast about 110 away, took the longer way back to make a sort of circle. did about 250 miles, but my gas mileage was around 46 normally get 38-39. of course, i rode a new rider, took it a little easier, instead of 80 cruised at 65 and 70, the limit!!! nice day also here. glad to hear it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Port Stanley is a great little town south of London Jeff, practically due north from your city but probably an 6 to 8 hour sail. It's just short of a 2 hour ride from my place. It has a nice beach and usually has a big crowd. Make sure you bring your speedo and enjoy.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Port Stanley is a great little town south of London Jeff, practically due north from your city but probably an 6 to 8 hour sail. It's just short of a 2 hour ride from my place. It has a nice beach and usually has a big crowd. Make sure you bring your speedo and enjoy.
I know....it's a very nice little town....been going there for the past twenty years....we always have this race, same time every year for the past over 40 years! The Kettle Creek Inn gets extra Smithwick's for us!! our sister sailing squadron is the Port Stanley Sailing club!:mosh:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sounds like a great day Jeff!!

Thanks for sharing!

:choppersm

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
why are motorcycle enthusiasts known to belong and have brother clubs, and sailors have sister clubs??? is this a personal given distinction or a choice in the wording...:hmm2:
no disrespect intended in any way :nono:,

enquiring minds just want to know...:) :choppersm

·
Registered
289 Posts
Did someone mention 'race'? Does your club racing to Port Stanley? That would quite a race. Or do you sail over and race against Port Stanley's members on a course?

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did someone mention 'race'? Does your club racing to Port Stanley? That would quite a race. Or do you sail over and race against Port Stanley's members on a course?
yes! we race either to or from Port Stanley every July 4the weekend.....it's 48.5 nautical miles from the mouth of the breakwall at Ashtabula to the mouth of the break wall at Port Stanley........takes between 6-12 hours depending on the conditions........I have a Tartan 38, built in 1976........it's a sweet boat to sail and to race......last year two of us put up the spinnaker at the start and sailed the entire race with it..took a third.......not bad for a short handed crew!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts