Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just asking, im looking at replacing the handlebar grips with new ones and havent done this before so how do you get old ones off and install new ones, also what size would i need to get far as new grips are most handlebar grips the same or are they all different thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Getting the old ones off isn't that hard. On the left the cap just pulls off, on the right it's threaded. Then you just get a screwdriver and pry under the grip working it in. Once it's in there a bit spray in some WD40. Work it around a bit and they'll come right off. Then clean up the WD40 and the old adhesive. Some people use compressed air instead of the WD40. To each their own but I feel the WD40 helps you get the old adhesive off too.

The new grips should be for 1"bars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting the old ones off isn't that hard. On the left the cap just pulls off, on the right it's threaded. Then you just get a screwdriver and pry under the grip working it in. Once it's in there a bit spray in some WD40. Work it around a bit and they'll come right off. Then clean up the WD40 and the old adhesive. Some people use compressed air instead of the WD40. To each their own but I feel the WD40 helps you get the old adhesive off too.

The new grips should be for 1"bars.
Ok thx sounds easy enough lol

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
Be careful with the throttle side. If I recall correctly, the grip on this side attaches to a plastic sleeve and you need to make sure you do not damage this sleeve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts