Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 1300C and am changing out the bars. I'm not doing the normal switch to the R bars. I got a set of stock R risers off ebay for $20. And an awesome member gave me a great deal on his stock 1800C bars. Total cost is $80 for bars and risers. I just have a few questions:

1-Is there a torque spec that I need to follow when tightening the nut on when mounting the risers to the tripple trees?
2-What's the best way to get the throttle tube off of the old handlebars without screwing anything up?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Loosen screws on the bottom of the switch housing, then when every thing else is off the bars remove the riser bolts from the bottom of the triple tree (be cafeful not to scratch your tank, use a towel and/or another person). When the bars are free slide the throttle tube off the bars, install in reverse. Remember not to tighten the risers down at first just make them snug. Slide the throttle tube on and clamp the bars to the risers just snug. go back and torque down the risers to 47lbf.ft. Then adjust handle bars to your liking and torque the clamps down to 20lbf.ft . Reattach every thing else and ride happy.

torque values are in ch13 of the service manuel wich can be downloaded from http://www.mdxiles.com/VTX1300_Service_03_04.pdf for free
Hope this helps

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would like to do something with my stock bars also, could you post a few pics of how this turns out? wondering if I should look for similar type replacement or go with the CP bars...

korbo

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the difference?
I have the back of the Permatex Threadlock label right here and it says that blue threadlock is medium strength and red threadlock is permanent strength for "cylinder block bolts, ring gear bolts, and transmission shaft bolts."

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Alan with the red loctite you have to use a heck of a lot of heat to break the bolts loose again. If I remember right it takes about 500* to do the job. On the smaller bolts you'd twist the heads off and have a big job fixing things again. Never use the red on anything that it's not intended for you'll just be asking for a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here you go Korbo. This is with 1800C bars and risers. Got it off a member from here who changed out his stock bars. It's much more comfortable and doesn't have the retro look like R bars and R risers. I went on an 80 mile ride yesterday and it handles much better than the stock bars and I love the look much better.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Here you go Korbo. This is with 1800C bars and risers. Got it off a member from here who changed out his stock bars. It's much more comfortable and doesn't have the retro look like R bars and R risers. I went on an 80 mile ride yesterday and it handles much better than the stock bars and I love the look much better.
Are those 6" risers??

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any problems with the cables? They look great on the bike.
Thanks! No problems. It's definitely a tight fit. At a full left turn, the throttle cables are too tight with the cable holders under the trees. I took those off and it gives it enough slack to where nothing binds. I also took a razor blade to the gromet that is glued to the front brake line to take the slack out of the line by the caliper. Once I did that, everything fits like a glove. The clutch cable is tight but not too tight. I'm thinking about just routing everything behind the trees anyway but nothing is binding anywhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks! No problems. It's definitely a tight fit. At a full left turn, the throttle cables are too tight with the cable holders under the trees. I took those off and it gives it enough slack to where nothing binds. I also took a razor blade to the gromet that is glued to the front brake line to take the slack out of the line by the caliper. Once I did that, everything fits like a glove. The clutch cable is tight but not too tight. I'm thinking about just routing everything behind the trees anyway but nothing is binding anywhere.
You can move the cables to the back side of the triple tree to get more slack.

·
243 Posts
Alan with the red loctite you have to use a heck of a lot of heat to break the bolts loose again. If I remember right it takes about 500* to do the job. On the smaller bolts you'd twist the heads off and have a big job fixing things again. Never use the red on anything that it's not intended for you'll just be asking for a nightmare.
Good response and advice. For those who like to read, I'll add a couple of cites....

Blue 242

Green 290

Red 271

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_RED_tds.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking I might have to change mine that's the reason for the questions. Thanks
What is your handlebar and riser sutup?

You can move the cables to the back side of the triple tree to get more slack.
I was thinking about it but the only reason why would just to have a clean look from the front of the triple tree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts